Thursday, September 26, 2024

When We Were Younger (SOJA)


Later this morning, I will be sending out the following as an Update to the GoFundMe that was created almost a year ago. It only made sense to share it here as well... 🤷 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Family and Friends of the MossFam6 -

It is impossible to believe that today is the one-year mark of Eric's passing. It feels like yesterday, right? We remain in awe and gratitude that you all generously contributed $15,000+, which helped tremendously with all the costs incurred. My goal of sending thank-you notes made it through a double-handful, so please accept my apologies that those good intentions remain locked in my heart and mind, unexpressed yet no less sincere.

It's been an interesting year of learning and growth and change. All the Coping Mechanisms: bereavement group and therapy and meditation, oh my! Chico and I have a niche/shrine in our living room, with flowers from the garden where I volunteer... a Memory Bear a friend made from one of E's button-down shirts (you'd recognize the paisley pattern)... and of course candles and sage. And owls, which became significant a few weeks after he died.

Eric's ashes (so far) have made it to Alaska, two California locations, Key West (with Dar Williams!), Cozumel, South Carolina, northern Florida, my sister's weekly Trivia Night in Georgia, the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in northern New Mexico, Norway, Sweden, and every reggae concert in South Florida in the last year (especially Stick Figure; thanks, JT!).

We started a Breakfast Club at IHOP, usually the first Sunday of each month, where we share memories and make new ones. Chico had a brick installed at the Cooper City Optimist Clubhouse. We planted a tree in E's memory at Ashley W. Hale Park (in our old Pembroke Lakes neighborhood), and will soon gather for a dedication. If you're local and interested in details of the aforementioned, e-me at ozwoman321@aol.com. We'd love to have you join us for either or both.

Hugs to all of you. To all of us. Ugh. What a year. But now we have made it through the Firsts, and the Seconds will be easier. I am beyond thankful for the wagons we circled, the Village we created, the traditions we began, as well as continued. The love keeps rippling out... 💗

It bears repeating: as long as we remember Eric, he lives. “What is grief, if not love persevering?” ~ WandaVision (thanks to Rob for the heads-up).
Susan, Chico, Rob, Sarah, and Colin


SONGWhen We Were Younger by SOJA
"What's the answer to your soul's light?
I wonder do we get to come back
I wonder if I will remember these questions I've asked
Or will I just start over again?" (thanks to Andrew for the nod to this song)

BOOK: The Bereaved Parent by Harriet Sarnoff Schiff POEM(S): Swimming Lessons by Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer How scared they were that first day, the ones who had never before put their faces into the cold blue water of the pool. Goosebumps rose on their tiny limbs, mine, too, as we shivered in the shallow end. I’d take their hands and we’d move in a circle, Ring around the rosies— Their little voices rang out with lisp and shine. Pocket full of posies— scent of chlorine and sun screen and Ashes, ashes, we all fall— Years later, afraid of a much different deep end, I notice who is holding my hands. Sometimes we sing while we meet what we fear. It makes it easier as we all fall down.



In the untimely event of my death, Immediately unwrap everything you have kept for new, I will enjoy it in spirit with you. Take out all your brightest colours and clash so hard, the sun is in awe of your light. I want you alive and present and rainbow-bright. Eat cake. And slather butter on your bread, this is the prize for not being dead. Book a holiday, somewhere I said you must go walk to the forest, make it long and slow. Watch everything grow. Touch your face, touch your nose, you so often berate, marvel at how you arrived so late to see its beauty. To see it daily now, is duty. Set your watch, time is not yours but oh this life, it is and it’s down to you, how you chose to live, this is the gift, my dying, will give. ~ Donna Ashworth


Begin Again by Jeannette Encinias

Begin again.

Little moments.
Tending to the flowers.
Cutting the fruit.
Opening the curtains so that the entire sky can greet you.
It’s never easy but, no matter.
Steam from the tea so quiet.
An open book, and door, and arms.
You have time.
Time to create a life that you can stand up straight in. Even though life may beat you down. Hard. Even though things, situations, and people you love may be taken away from you so that your arms can memorize the grace of letting them go. Even then, especially then, begin again.
Remind yourself that nothing really dies, rather, it transforms. Everything and everyone you have ever loved lives in the mysterious memory of your cells. Turning. Healing. Renewing itself. Until one day, a photograph of something or someone very dear, long gone, visits your mind and you bow your head with appreciation.
Meanwhile, take your pain to the sea and your trouble to the mountain.
Leave it there and walk home clean.
When failure knocks and rattles and quakes, let it.
Watch it make a fresh canvas of you.
Failure, that great teacher, is kinder if you thank her as you are getting up off the floor. She knows something that you don’t know: that she is usually the last face you will see before breaking through. Such a little light in the crack of the door.
But today, if you are wading through the waters of loss or confusion: begin again.
Open the avocado.
Draw the bath.
Call your best friend.
Gather the books.
Play your favorite album.
Write.
Create art.
Open your arms. Move your legs. Lovely, little blessings. Whispering to life that you won’t give up. Not ever.


Mother and Son by Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer Briefly, you were taller than I, tall enough that when we hugged my head rested against your chest, your body lean from growing so fast. My body remembers how new it felt when you gathered me in long, slender arms the way I had once cradled you. It is not the same to be held by your absence, no warmth, no scent. Still, I let myself be held by what is here— no heartbeat but my own, but oh, the love still growing.

QUOTE(S): “Grief is normal. It’s not like you’ll have a life someday with no grief. Life is all about loss, but grief is the medicine for that loss. Grief is not your problem. Grief is not the sorrow. Grief is the medicine. The people that have grief cultural awareness are always turning all of their losses into beauty in order to make more life instead of just trying to get through it and then forget about it.” ~ Martin Prechtel

"I hope death is like being carried to your bedroom when you were a child & fell asleep on the couch during a family party. I hope you can hear the laughter from the next room" (I can't find an attribution for this)

“When you remember me, it means that you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart.
For as long as you remember me, I am never entirely lost.” ~ Frederick Buechner

6 comments:

  1. Not just today, but always, thinking of you, my friend, tears hot and eyes blurred. Oh, the unimaginable. Much, much love to you and Chico, Sarah and Rob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remain grateful to you, part of the amazing company of friends who have supported me steadfastly through the darkness, reminding me there is light on the other side. I believe today is the demarcation line. Thanks and love, Judi... <3

      Delete
  2. Susan and Chico,
    What beautiful poems to share on this memorable day; I heard them in my head spoken with a soft, confident voice. I’m reaching out my hand for you to hold - today and always.
    I think there will be more firsts to come, and while there are tears in your eyes, forever there’s love in your heart.
    With love in my heart, I’m thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for weighing in, dearest Susan. Very perceptive of you to to recognize there will be more Firsts, and we will tackle those as they come, hopefully with a bit less pain, but that's okay if it still hurts. Grief = love, I continue to discover. I feel your love, and send it boomeranging it back to you... <3

      Delete
  3. Through this all you have been a beacon of hope, strength and inspiration. Taking the unimaginable to touch even more people than you already do. I love you so much as well as the entire Moss Fam. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot that I *published*, but forgot to respond. Grief brain! I am so grateful for your kind words, Mari. An AFGO (Another F*cking Growth Opportunity of the highest degree, right?). Thanks and love to you beyond words... <3

      Delete