Sunday, October 8, 2023

The Circle Game (Joni Mitchell)


Can you believe that I bought this Wiggle Worm for Sarah (who recently turned 42) then Rob (now 38) played with it... here's Eric (who turned 35 this past July) holding it... somehow I saved the d*mn thing, and now it's in five-year-old Colin's toy-and-book basket in my car, next to his carseat?!?  Everything old truly *is* new again... 💖

Today was a hard day, and then a lovely day, then boomeranging back to difficult (I mean, hello?  What do I expect?  This is my life right now.  This will continue to be my life... 💔).  Sarah had the fabulous idea for us to attend the River of Grass UU service this morning, not only for spiritual sustenance (which we received times a bazillion), but also to get an idea of the logistics for Saturday's Celebration of Life.  Rev. Amy is the total package:  enthusiastic, calming, thought-provoking, inclusive.  

No surprise (but it was!) that the opening music was Joni's The Circle Game, which has been one of our family's songs for decades, as I always played it for each child's birthday dinner.  I am keeping track of the synchronicities since Eric passed and there *will* be such a blog post soon.  I also "borrowed" the poem and book Amy used in the service for this blog post.  The theme was Indigenous Peoples Day, and she spoke of Circling Spiraling Sacred.  Exactly where I needed to be.

Afterward... Chico, Sarah, and I went to Brandon's (just a few blocks down the road) where I had veggie pho (not all pho restaurants have a veggie broth option, you know).  I ate two small spring rolls, and then asked for a To Go container, but not before breathing in the lovely aroma, like a hug in a bowl.  Had half for dinner tonight, and will save the remainder for tomorrow.

Then home to translate all my notes into Action Items... then a most lovely two-hour phone call with dear friend/college roomie Linda (who knew Eric from infancy).  I cried a lot, but I laughed too.  She, her husband Craig, and their daughter Rachel will be here next weekend.  Speaking of circling... my wagons are beginning to... ↻

After I upload these musings, I am going to curl up with one of Eric's Spotify playlists, which I wasn't able to handle until now (well, I think I can handle it)... 🤞

SONGThe Circle Game by Joni Mitchell

[In a concert at the Albert Hall in London on October 29, 1970, Joni Mitchell, who was already friends with Young by the time he wrote this song, opened her song "Circle Game" with this speech:

Mitchell: "In 1965 I was up in Canada, and there was a friend of mine up there who had just left a rock'n'roll band  - he had just newly turned 21, and that meant he was no longer allowed into his favourite haunt, which was kind of a teeny-bopper club and once you're over 21 you couldn't get back in there anymore; so he was really feeling terrible because his girlfriends and everybody that he wanted to hang out with, his band could still go there, you know, but it's one of the things that drove him to become a folk singer was that he couldn't play in this club anymore. 'Cause he was over the hill... So he wrote this song that was called "Oh to live on sugar mountain" which was a lament for his lost youth. And I thought, God, you know, if we get to 21 and there's nothing after that, that's a pretty bleak future, so I wrote a song for him, and for myself just to give me some hope. It's called The Circle Game."]



To pray you open your whole self
To sky, to earth, to sun, to moon
To one whole voice that is you.
And know there is more
That you can’t see, can’t hear;
Can’t know except in moments
Steadily growing, and in languages
That aren’t always sound but other
Circles of motion.
Like eagle that Sunday morning
Over Salt River. Circled in blue sky
In wind, swept our hearts clean
With sacred wings.
We see you, see ourselves and know
That we must take the utmost care
And kindness in all things.
Breathe in, knowing we are made of
All this, and breathe, knowing
We are truly blessed because we
Were born, and die soon within a
True circle of motion,
Like eagle rounding out the morning
Inside us.
We pray that it will be done
In beauty.
In beauty.

QUOTE:  "For in grief nothing 'stays put.' One keeps on emerging from a phase, but it always recurs. Round and round.  
Everything repeats. Am I going in circles, or dare I hope I am on a spiral?" ~ C. S. Lewis

4 comments:

  1. As I was reading your entry, I was like, I could totally go for “Eagle Poem” right now and then lo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, Amy... especially since you are responsible for my love of, and admiration for, Joy Harjo! Rev. Amy is the person who wove all these together. I just carried the elements over to my blog. Easy-peasy... :-)

      Delete
    2. And Susan, you must know that you paid it forward by introducing me to the work of Joy Harjo. Thank you for continuing to share your heart with us, and in so doing , teaching us. 💜✨
      MaryL

      Delete
    3. Aw, Mary... I love that! And we got to see/hear her live at the Miami Book Fair whatever-year-that-was. Hearts are for sharing; thanks for reading, and listening... <3

      Delete