Saturday, October 7, 2023

Always On My Mind (Willie Nelson)

Sarah bought three tickets for the Outlaw Music Festival last night; Willie Nelson was the headliner but of course we were really there to see The Avett Brothers, a longtime MossFam fave ("Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name" ~ Murder in the City).

So, there was a particular song we were conjuring, which I'm not divulging here because we'll be using it in E's Celebration of Life and, as soon as we heard the opening strains, we all grasped on to each other tightly for the remainder of the song, weeping openly.

And there were two annoying drunk women behind us the whole festival but, after the song was over, one of them leaned over and said to me:  "what's your phone number?" and I said: "why?" (to reiterate, my grief reflex is Snappishness)... and she replied that she was so touched by our moment that she took a pic from above and wanted to send it to us. And then I revoked all my unkind words and thoughts about the two annoying drunk women.  The Universe does provide... 😳

Also, on the way to the venue, we saw a rainbow.  Then we arrived at the venue, got settled, and saw another rainbow.  Then another.  We all have that story, I think; what's yours? (feel free to share in a comment). After musician/friend Dave Carter passed, dragonflies were in abundance; after my mom's passing as well.  For my friend Michele, feathers appear to remind her of her mom.  For my friend Pam, dimes randomly show up for her boyfriend Michael.  We will now and forever associate rainbows with our dear Eric... 🌈

P.S.  We did stay a bit for Willie Nelson, maybe 5 songs?  Despite the fact that he's 90 (what?!?), he looked and sounded pretty d*mn great... 😀

SONGAlways On My Mind by Willie Nelson


POEM:  Saving Grace by Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer

I didn't even see
the slender red salamander
curled in the middle
of the country road,
but Brad stopped to kneel
beside it and told us
if you pick them up
by the tail, they will lose
their tail—an attempt
to distract a predator
while the rest
of the body escapes.
So tenderly, he brushed
the small amphibian
into his open palm,
then gently placed it intact
in the wet grass beside the road.
If this day were a novel,
I'd say the morning walk
was foreshadowing.
Everywhere we went
there were hands
that opened in kindness—
to greet, to serve cake,
to hug, to wave—
as if everyone agreed it matters,
the way we treat each other.
How quickly we can fall apart
when threatened.
How easily, sometimes,
we are saved.

QUOTE:  
“Days of death are days when we weigh our relationship with love in our bare hands.  Days when we remember what has gone, and fear what is to come. The joy love brings, and the price we pay.” ~ The Last Devil to Die, novel by Richard Osman (thanks to MaryL for the heads-up!)

9 comments:

  1. Oh, Susan, that poem is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, right? I had used some of Trommer's poems waaaay back at the beginning of her blog, but my friend Michele recently re-brought her to my attention. Every one is better than the next! Whew.

      Delete
    2. Amy, that should be *my* blog. So much Brain Fog, so little time (ack!).

      Delete
  2. I'll never forget Glenn calling me to say that he saw you at the Avett Brothers concert; he was so surprised and delighted! I have one of his cds in my car so sometimes I listen just to think of him. Now, I'll push "play" and think of E, and this "breautiful" moment as well. So much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, yes! It all started, though, at your and Chip's handfasting, as we segued to The Field for continued festivities. Glenn and I were at the same table (not sure if that was assigned or random, although never Random where The Universe is concerned). So... we're sitting across the table from each other (I can't remember who else was there with us?) and of course Glenn and I are talking music in general, and I'm not sure which of us mentioned The Avett Brothers first, but the other one practically shouted: "Yes! I love them!"... and we were off and running about which songs on which albums and how many times we'd each seen them live (Glenn definitely won that contest!)... so it was such a delight to see him at the concert a few years later (Rob and Eric were with us). And now, the song I suggested for you at Glenn's service will now be played at E's. Gotta love/hate a Full Circle Moment (ugh.)
      Life provides so many Brutiful moments, bringing us equal parts painful and peace. As you well know, Balance is not my strong suit... sigh. So much love back to you and yours... <3

      Delete
  3. Oh what a great photo. Thankgod for drunk women? - j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi... That. Photo. Is. Everything., Right?!?
      Major understatement Drunk Women; thankyoujesus indeed. They are now my new best friends (kidding/not kidding/kidding/ha!).

      Delete
  4. ❤️❤️❤️✨✨✨
    -ML

    ReplyDelete