Thursday, October 5, 2023

Harmonize (Rising Appalachia)

L-R:  Eric, Sarah, Dar, me, Rob, Chico
Labyrinth Cafe, Ft. Lauderdale FL - 10-2-2010

This photo is synchronistic for two reasons:  1)  it was taken almost 13 years ago to the day and 2) tonight I was supposed to be in Baltimore to attend the Dar Williams concert at The State Theater of Havre de Grace (I am on the board of The True North Project, which hosted the event).  I was scrolling through Facebook posts earlier and saw one where I commented: "Wouldn't miss it for the world!"... except that I did, and I have to be okay with it (I'm okay with it).  I have no doubt that Pam (Creative Director of TNP, as well as dear friend) will fill me in on every little detail.  I am practicing patience, difficult for my IG Leo self.  But, earlier in the evening, I went out on the balcony, lit some candles, and had a lovely conversation with my sister, who encouraged me to take "space and grace" (I love that).  After we hung up, I stayed outside, sipped on a huge mug of Kava tea, listened to a Dar Williams playlist, and pretended I was at the show.  It was the next best thing... 🎡

My husband and I received a beautiful e-mail from Eric's bosses in Atlanta; Duyen had the unfortunate task of contacting them the night he died to inform of his death.  We asked her to connect us, and they reached out today.  They shared glowing words about his enthusiasm, his work ethic, his business savvy.  We were/are so proud.

E's Celebration of Life is really falling into place (and by that I mean, our team/village/community is coming together to weave all the moving parts into a gathering worthy of our son/brother/boyfriend).  It truly is what's keeping me moving forward... πŸ’—

I think I am finally coming up for air.  Maybe Amy hypnotized me (kidding!) but, after my meeting with her yesterday, which I left feeling peaceful, believe it or not, I still do.  I'm not going to question it; I'm just going to embrace it.  There will be more tears, more meltdowns, more shaking my fist at the sky, but for now I'm breathing without snotting, which is a win on any/every level, right?

And I have a massage tomorrow.  Ommmm... ૐ


SONGHarmonize by Rising Appalachia


POEM:  This is what was bequeathed us by Gregory Orr

This is what was bequeathed us:
This earth the beloved left
And, leaving,
Left to us.

No other world
But this one:
Willows and the river
And the factory
With its black smokestacks.

No other shore, only this bank
On which the living gather.

No meaning but what we find here.
No purpose but what we make.

That, and the beloved’s clear instructions:
Turn me into song; sing me awake.

QUOTE:  "
Life cannot be handled.  The secret is simply to show up.  It's about witnessing it all, even the pain, and letting it touch you and make you not harder, but more tender.  Showing up, feeling it all — this is my new kind of prayer.  I call it praying attention, and it's how, for me, everything turns holy." ~ Glennon Doyle

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your process with us. Especially thank you for the song, poem & quote in this post. Shared with a friend who is also grieving. And wiping my own eyes, too. Thinking about my sister who left us too soon some years ago. This process of grieving is most definitely not linear. Hugs to you and all of us. πŸ’œ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet, Mary. Glad you are enjoying as well as sharing. I have learned/am learning so much. Whew. It feels as if the songs/books/poems/quotes appear to me when I need them. Hugs back at you... <3

      Delete
  2. Thank Goddess you have a massage tomorrow! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nance, it was amazing. I will of course blog about it tomorrow (which will be later today). Ack!

      Delete
  3. Even though I’m not always commenting, I am hanging on every word you write, weeping and shaking fists and, occasionally, smiling as well. πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Michele, you have always and forever, on so many levels and during so many times in my life, been there for me. It is a given, which I count on but hope never to take for granted. So much love... <3

      Delete
  4. Such an amazing phone chat. Shed a few tears, said a lot of F words and even snuck in a few laughs! Hope your massage and music were both equally fantabulous yesterday! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari, Yes! All. The Feels, and more to follow next weekend... :-)

      Delete