Thursday, April 15, 2021

No Hard Feelings (The Avett Brothers)

Feeling somber tonight, as a dear friend called me a few evenings ago to tell me that her former husband had passed away unexpectedly, cause unknown.  I knew him as an acquaintance, but always had a great interaction whenever we crossed paths.  It's just got me thinking of how vulnerable we all are, living one day at a time, never fully aware that we might not wake up the next morning.  You know the drill.  Hug your special people extra tight.

"For life and its loveliness" indeed... ðŸ’–


SONG
No Hard Feelings by The Avett Brothers (we shared a love for this band... ♩♪🎵)


I could say at 42 I’ve escaped death already many times.
Maybe I was due, like a library book,
at an earlier age, but some spirit renewed me.
I almost drowned at three, then twice got scarlet fever
at 6 and 10. I could have died of my rare bleeding disorder
at 12; thanks to modern prescriptions, life prevailed.
I’ve become an expert at dodging tornadoes
and downed planes, traffic accidents and plain old bad luck.
I’ve been in a lot of hospitals, where doctors made mistakes—
but still, woke up every time, little worse for wear.
I’ve been scared of death, but now he seems so familiar,
an old sweater I’ve casually tossed aside so often.
Please remember when I die that I was lucky
to be here at all—my mother’s pregnancy uneasy,
birth difficult and under an ill star, infancy involving
incubators for a little baby blue me. So when I finally
take the fall, I must remember to say thank you
for the breaks that kept me ahead of the game so long.

QUOTE:  "Between our birth and death we may touch understanding, as a moth brushes a window with its wing." ~ Christopher Fry

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Susan. Our hearts are broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, my heart is breaking for you all. I've enjoyed reading the stories and commentary on the memorial website from others who knew him better/differently. We should all be so lucky to make such an impact on those in our lives. Here's/cheers to Glenn... <3

      Delete