Friday, April 2, 2021

Happy (Pharrell Williams)

Confession Time.  I've lost my concentration again.  I scaled back my walking because it had gotten so hot and, although I'm still doing yoga, my treks around the complex are now few and far between.  I'm still eating healthy, but crappy food is finding its way back into my day on a more-than-a-treat basis.  Of course, all of this is affecting my sleep patterns, blood pressure, and blood sugar, as well as my mental health, which then becomes a self-confidence issue, and I'm kinda one big ball of insecurities right now.

I was doing so very well but, when I'm feeling good and/or complimented, I have a tendency to self-sabotage.  Yesterday was the first day of April and I smacked the proverbial fool I'd become and re-acquainted myself with my inner Wise Woman, channeling Cher in Moonstruck:  "Snap out of it!".

Back to moving my body on a regular basis.  A return to checkmarks in my Daily Dozen app.  Resurrecting regular phone chats/visits with friends.  More consistent blogging (which I have vowed to do for April anyway, since it's National Poetry Month).  In search of a volunteer opportunity.  In a nutshell:  Radical.  Self-Care.  Again!  Oh, and no more "accidentally vegan" thin mints... 😆


As is tradition, five items below of beauty, interest, and humor to brighten your day/weekend/week.  Enjoy!

Over 3 Million People Took This Course on Happiness. Here’s What Some Learned:  It may seem simple, but it bears repeating: sleep, gratitude and helping other people. (my bold!)


The January “Show Spotlight” segment from BROADWAY PROFILES WITH TAMSEN FADAL, shines a light on the 2019 Tony Award-winning best musical HADESTOWN. Host Tamsen Fadal catches up with the show's Tony-winning creators Anaïs Mitchell and Rachel Chavkin about their long road to creating the Tony-winning musical plus the excitement of taking the show on tour.


Super BowlStephen Colbert Enlists Tom Hanks, Sam Elliott for an Ad Supporting a Local Bookstore in North Carolina (thanks to Nancy and Judi for the heads-up on this!)


SPUD GINGER LEMONGRASS VODKALight, mouthwatering & flavorful, this vodka features a fleeting sweetness at first, though it's soon taken over by a woody lemongrass note, followed by spicy ginger on the finish. Use for Asian-inspired drinks, or pair alongside Asian dishes. (where can I find this locally?!?)


WFUV's QUESTION OF THE DAY:  SPRING AWAKENING:  It's Benham Jones in for Corny O'Connell. Settling into this weekend high on the promise of a bright future because tomorrow it is officially SPRING! The tail slap of the post-pandemic winter has been heavy on us all but let's keep our eyes (and ears) on the prize: in honor of tomorrow's equinox, we are looking for songs that name-check the most elusive of seasons. (I meant to post this two weeks ago!).


SONG:  Happy 
by Pharrell Williams

BOOK:  Happy Is the New Healthy by Joan Neehall PhD

POEM:  Subject Matter by 
Hal Sirowitz

The reason you don't have much
to talk about, my therapist said, is
because you're not doing anything. If I
stayed in my room all day, I'd have
nothing to talk about, either. You should
go to a dance, & even if you don't meet anyone,
you can at least describe to me what it was like,
which I'd find interesting, because I don't
go out anymore. I'm not trying to sway you.
If you insist on talking about nothing,
I'd still listen, but I'm convinced you'll be
much happier if you had something to talk about.

QUOTE:  "It's a conscious decision to choose your priorities every day." ~ Elisabeth Hasselbeck

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Hugs back at you, my friend! This last year has been such a pendulum of emotions, right? Good thing we have special people in our lives to listen and love us through it... <3

      Delete