Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Mr. Biden (Bring My Vaccine) (A Randy Rainbow Song Parody)


Went to Costco yesterday.  Very anxiety-inducing, as it was my first "store" outing (other than the library, which has 4 people compared to 400) since the beginning of the pandemic.  I had been putting off my membership renewal (expired end of last month) because it is required to go *in* to do it, as well as getting Chico his own card (he was on the account, but needed to have his picture taken to be official).  Done, and Done.  Zippity... 😍

Zoom with Nancy and Judi this morning, now getting some things done around the house.  Continued Gratitude because, as of this morning, all three of our adult children have been fully vaccinated.  Huge sigh of relief, especially for the boys, since they are both in the restaurant business and have daily exposure to goodness knows what.  Right now we are all looking forward to our next gathering, when we will feel comfortable hugging, maskless.  Oh, Happy Day... 💞

This blog post has been in the works for *months*, back when Chico and I had our first shots in mid-January, and the circuitous and lengthy process we encountered (filling out forms, writing on our windshield at various points:  driver's license checks to make sure we were 65+, as well as waiting 15 minutes after the vaccination, to make sure we didn't have a reaction).  Start to finish, a three-hour experience.  Second time around was half the time, as they had fine-tuned the process.  That was at a public park, in our car, and now availability has expanded to Publix, drugstores, etc.  We've come a long way in three months.

The news is full of variants and herd immunity and "following the science", oh my!  We just have to figure out how to get more people vaccinated more quickly, and convince those with hesitancy, if not for themselves, to do it for others.


SONG:  Mr. Biden (Bring My Vaccine) - A Randy Rainbow Song Parody

BOOKKelly Gets a Vaccine: How We Beat Coronavirus by Lauren D. Block, Adam E. Block, Debby Rahmalia (Illustrator)

POEM:  
the delicate arrangement of unavoidable sorrow by Maya Stein

At the clinic, the path to the nurse with the syringe in her hand was festooned with signs.
It took no time to get through the answers - “No,” “No,” “No,” “No,” “No” - before
the clipboard came down and I was pointed toward table number 6. It was, dare I say,
almost cheerful, the processions of new arrivals, the summer-hued short-sleeve shirts
rolled to the tip of bare shoulders, volunteers on circuitous rounds in the waiting area,
spray bottles clipped to their waists. It was only later, midnight, waking to the cry
of my body as it wrestled with the angel serum inside it, that I peered at the edge of what
and who had been sacrificed, and what remainders the disease would scavenge.
In the morning, I drifted between rooms, sipping from my water glass, nested in a limbo
of relief and sadness, my eyes scanning a horizon that kept slipping in and out of view.


Relic by Russell Brakefield

years from now I dislodge a mask
kneeling in a gas station parking lot
to suck crumbs from the consoles
half in and half out the passenger seat
I dislodge a mask from the floormat
flattened and streaked, folded on itself
like a wounded bird but still
retaining its feather-blue tint
ear straps flung aside like broken wings
its sunken breast smudged
where I once pressed my mouth
the downy screen through which
I filtered my life, where my words were
wrung out and carried off as on a soft wind
a dirty plume that held prayers
and songs and desperate transactions
where I said even I love you
in a muffled tone, where I said even
I’m home! standing in the doorway
forgetting, for a brief moment, which
were the safer parts of the world

[Russell Brakefield: “As we encounter positive news about vaccines and look forward to a new administration’s response to the pandemic, I’ve been turning my mind to a post-Covid world, thinking about how we will live and interact with this time in history in the years to come.”]

QUOTE:  "
Imagine the action of a vaccine not just in terms of how it affects a single body, but also in terms of how it affects the collective body of a community." ~ Eula Biss

No comments:

Post a Comment