Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Tattoo (Sons of the Never Wrong)

I got a tattoo for my 40th birthday (soon to be 13 years ago) - it's of two beautiful hibiscus blossoms, one pink and the other purple, with green leaves, yellow centers and pistils and two black curliques swirling lengthwise under and over the flowers (to represent our then-recent move to Florida). It's about three inches long, top to bottom, just barely above my left ankle bone, very pretty and tastefully done - it was something I always said I'd do before I turned 40, and I haven't regretted it yet...

I swore I'd never have more than one but, it is said tattoos are an addiction, and four years ago I got another... a heart composed of a bass clef and a treble clef (representing my love of music) - the location: over my heart... <3

When people asked what I would do if my children ever wanted one, implying that I was setting a bad example, my standard reply was, "I'll tell them to do what I did and wait until they're 40!" - I'm now planning a third inking when the time is right... :-)

[ Added 6/22/07 - I love Mark Morford! ]

SONG: Tattoo by Sons of the Never Wrong

BOOK: Dorothy Parker's Elbow: Tattoos on Writers, Writers on Tattoos by Kim Addonizio and Cheryl Dumesnil

POEM: To the Engraver of My Skin by Mark Doty

I understand the pact is mortal,
agree to bear this permanence.

I contract with limitation; I say no
and no then yes to you, and sign

--here, on the dotted line--
for whatever comes, I do: our time,

our outline, the filling-in of our details
(it's density that hurts, always,

not the original scheme). I'm here
for revision, discoloration; here to fade

and last, ineradicable, blue. Write me!
This ink lasts longer than I do.

QUOTE: "When the designs are chosen with care, tattoos have a power and magic all their own. They decorate the body but they also enhance the soul." ~ Michelle Delio

No comments:

Post a Comment