Saturday, June 2, 2007

Our House (Graham Nash)

I was supposed to leave last night on a field/road trip to Daytona Beach (244 miles, about 4 hours) with my friend Nancy, staying the night in an inexpensive motel, spending today and then driving back this evening - the exhibit called "Kiss the Sky", at the Southeast Museum of Photography on the campus of Daytona Beach Community College, is featuring the work of noted rock photographer Henry Diltz. Diltz is best known for his candids, portraits and album covers of many of the 60's and 70's artists: Crosby, Stills and Nash, Neil Young, Mama Cass, Janis Joplin, The Doors, Jackson Browne and Joni Mitchell, to name but a few - this was the last weekend of the exhibition...

I visited Diltz's shop in SoHo last February when I went up to New York City for the Joni Tribute - it was tempting to "invest" in a limited edition print of my musical goddess, but I resisted...

Unfortunately, the road trip didn't happen because I started having major car trouble on Thursday, so much so that I had to drop it off last night to the Ford service center, and heard back today that it will take megabucks to fix - the plus side is that we have the money (tax return), the minus is that I was earmarking it for bamboo floors. I'm trying to give the entire experience up to the Universe (wasn't meant to be, we would have been driving through Tropical Storm Barry last night, I have too much to do at home to justify 24 hours away, etc.) - there are certainly other adventures on my life calendar. Oooooo-f*cking-mmmm - life happens... :-)

[Added 6/9/07: I just ran across this exclusive 1996 interview of Henry Diltz by Wally Breese (founder of the official Joni Mitchell website) - loooooong but fascinating! ]

SONG: Our House by Graham Nash (written for/about Joni)

BOOK: Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock-and-Roll's Legendary Neighborhood by Michael Walker

POEM: Today's Specials by Jaime Adoff

I start the day with my music buffet:
Morning fuel burns - cool jazz jams
on buttered toast.
Hot salsa
floats over
everything I
eat and drink
in the
song.
So much to choose from, can't pick just one.
Fresh Squeezed Tina Turner - tastes so smooth.
Add a stack of Marvin Gaye - out the door to school.
Grab my James Brown bag lunch,
Ready for my funk.
Trade
my bologna for your Joni
Mitchell mashed.
Wash it down with a tall glass of
Beatle juice - stir with Ice Cube
Ahhhhh...
On the bus home,
the snack formerly known
as Twinkie is singing
its sweet cream melody
into my mouth.
As the song:
booms and bumps
and
grooves and funks
and
rocks and rolls
and
tastes so good.


QUOTE: "They'll crucify you for changing... and crucify you for staying the same - I'd rather change.'" ~ Joni Mitchell

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your canceled trip, that stinks! thank you for printing the words to one of my favorite songs, though; I heard it on the radio and had Beren turn it up really loud. :) It invokes such lovely images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved that song too, especially since it's based on a true love story (Joni and Graham) - I'll loan you my DVD of her PBS biography, Woman of Heart and Mind (and you can see, in the interviews, he still adores her, decades later!).

    Here's a bit more detail: http://www.laurelcanyonthebook.com/?cat=33

    ReplyDelete