Thursday, June 7, 2007

Might As Well Dance (Patty Larkin)

I'm going out this evening to celebrate the May birthdays of two friends, albeit a bit belatedly - then again, we Leos feel we have a birth *month* so there's no such thing as too soon, too late or too frequently. I'm known for my themed mix CDs (that's a story for another time) and, as a joke present, I've made N a compilation of all cake songs (including MacArthur Park, the Beatles' Birthday, I Will Survive by the group Cake... and Sarah McLachlan's Ice Cream as the middle track) - long story short is that last May, N broke her foot and we had to bring the party to her and, because I had a house full of company due to my youngest's high school graduation, another friend organized the get-together and... forgot to buy a cake! N has not let us live it down for the last 12 months and I'm bound and determined she'll be on Cake overload this year - I even persuaded Fresh Market to give me an empty cake box so I can put N's present in it... :-)

SONG: Might As Well Dance by Patty Larkin

BOOK: The Secret Language of Birthdays by Gary Goldschneider and Joost Elffers

POEM: Crossroads by Joyce Sutphen

The second half of my life will be black
to the white rind of the old and fading moon.
The second half of my life will be water
over the cracked floor of these desert years.
I will land on my feet this time,
knowing at least two languages and who
my friends are. I will dress for the
occasion, and my hair shall be
whatever color I please.


Everyone will go on celebrating the old
birthday, counting the years as usual,
but I will count myself new from this
inception, this imprint of my own desire.
The second half of my life will be swift,
past leaning fenceposts, a gravel shoulder,
asphalt tickets, the beckon of open road.
The second half of my life will be wide-eyed,
fingers shifting through fine sands,
arms loose at my sides, wandering feet.


There will be new dreams every night,
and the drapes will never be closed.
I will toss my string of keys into a deep
well and old letters into the grate.
The second half of my life will be ice
breaking up on the river, rain
soaking the fields, a hand
held out, a fire,
and smoke going
upward, always up.

QUOTE: "If trouble is all you're looking for then trouble is all you'll find. The only difference between a rut and a groove is your state of mind." ~ my August 2003 birthday card from Mosh

No comments:

Post a Comment