Sunday, April 5, 2020

Words (Bee Gees)

It was fun to pop back on to Facebook yesterday to catch the Danny Schmidt/Carrie Elkin Live at the Quarantine Cafe online show.  We were not only treated to old favorites, but also new songs, and Maizy made an appearance at the beginning (she drew us all a picture with lots of hearts, and she jumped on the couch during the encore of Company of Friends). Carrie has a new T-shirt available on her website, so I had to buy it...  :-)

The three main things I miss about Facebook:

~ livestreaming concerts

~ The Miami Herald Readers group, which put my To Be Read list over the top with recommendations! No surprise I was a "conversation starter".


~ National Poetry Month. For most of the years I was on Facebook, I posted a poem every day in April to celebrate.  When I resurrected my blog in late-January, I vowed to post twice a week:  Mindful Monday and Thoughtful Thursday.  Then, when the virus hit a critical point, I didn't post for three weeks.  Now I am posting daily, partly to comfort my monkey mind and partly to follow through on my poetry promise.  Eeek... and sigh... 💜


SONG:  Words by Bee Gees

BOOK:  Poetry of Presence: An Anthology of Mindfulness Poems 
by Phyllis Cole-Dai and Ruby R. Wilson (Editors)

POEM:  How I Discovered Poetry by Marilyn Nelson


It was like soul-kissing, the way the words
filled my mouth as Mrs. Purdy read from her desk.
All the other kids zoned an hour ahead to 3:15,
but Mrs. Purdy and I wandered lonely as clouds borne
by a breeze off Mount Parnassus. She must have seen
the darkest eyes in the room brim: The next day
she gave me a poem she’d chosen especially for me
to read to the all except for me white class.
She smiled when she told me to read it, smiled harder,
said oh yes I could. She smiled harder and harder
until I stood and opened my mouth to banjo playing
darkies, pickaninnies, disses and dats. When I finished
my classmates stared at the floor. We walked silent
to the buses, awed by the power of words.

QUOTE:  "Poetry belongs to people. It cannot be pigeon-holed or labeled; it must flow out of the appreciator as well as the propagator, spontaneously and always amazingly." ~ George Abbe

No comments:

Post a Comment