Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Days Like This (Van Morrison)

What a difference a day makes, indeed.  Yesterday found me in a very sad place, emotionally as well as physically.  My sciatica was really acting up, and I cried myself to sleep, feeling that I was destined to live with chronic pain and/or addiction (am I already?) to Aleve.  This morning I awoke with a fresh perspective, even more determined to use these very long days to take better care of myself.

Poured my first cup of coffee, and went out onto the balcony, where it was only 74 degrees (10 degrees cooler than yesterday morning at that time!).  Delighted that it was a perfect walking day, and I'd be foolish to squander it.  While the caffeine slowly took effect, I googled additional exercises as well as side effects of naproxen (which I have already taken for more consecutive days than is recommended), which scared the sh*t out of me.  I have become complacent about relying on medicine for relief, which must stop.  Back to alternating heat and ice, as well as yoga.  


Ten minutes of gentle stretching, then a lovely stroll around the golf course (where this much- and long-loved Van Morrison song popped up), then home to more stretching.  Get it together, Susan.  To paraphrase A League of Their Own, "there's no crying in a global pandemic"...  :-)

P.S.  Happy 50th Anniversary of Earth Day!  I was a sophomore in high school on April 22, 1970, and I remember this being a big deal.  We even started a recycling center.  I still consider myself a steward of the earth, and am very conscious of the role I play to make, and keep, this planet healthy and sustainable.



SONG:  Days Like This by Van Morrison

BOOK:  Nobody Will Tell You This But Me: A true (as told to me) story 
by Bess Kalb

POEM:  Days of Future Dwell by Samuel Amadon


A dance professor around
her white house, which
windowed, countered,
surfaced with keys, bags,

a listing a broker found
he was proud to sell.
As grass is covered
with grass that's mown,

why not be happy again
to find your schedule in
your hand, and all things
well. The squirrels leapt

off the branch that fell.
The technical part with
all the pieces lining up,
or already there, at work:

a something to do with
why I pick the tack
from the floor, why I
finger it like a shell. Say

the songs get longer and
the days--all of it--you
can hear it all coming,
if you've tied to it a bell.

QUOTE:  "People make me out to be this super strong woman, but I have my tough days just like anyone else." ~ 
Rosie Perez

No comments:

Post a Comment