Tuesday, April 7, 2020

I Will Survive (Cake)

I have learned that the only way I can process up-to-date information these days is via print.  Watching the news or any shows like Anderson Cooper or Rachel Maddow (who I both love) is anxiety-inducing.  The confrontational voices, the heavy subject matter, the uncertainty. I could easily spiral if I allowed myself.

My two favorite sources are The Miami Herald for local news and The New York Times for national.  The Times is especially amazing because, in addition to 
e-briefings of daily news and politics, it also provides movie, book, culture, and cooking recommendations.  That's how I found out about today's book.  I was so captivated by the review that I immediately ordered a copy for myself, and one for my friend Judi, who lives in the Atlanta area, to share with her granddaughter E.  It is absolutely charming, a cross between Winnie the Pooh and The Little Prince, with simple drawings and quirky characters, speaking words of wisdom (Let It Be).  I will be sending this as gifts to other friends in the next day or so as well.

I urge you to sign up here to get the NYT Morning Briefing in your inbox.  You can thank me later.

And now I am craving cake!


SONG:  I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor (cover by Cake)

BOOK:  The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy


POEM:  For the Sake of Strangers by Dorianne Laux

No matter what the grief, its weight,
we are obliged to carry it.
We rise and gather momentum, the dull strength
that pushes us through crowds.
And then the young boy gives me directions
so avidly. A woman holds the glass door open,
waiting patiently for my empty body to pass through.
All day it continues, each kindness
reaching toward another—a stranger
singing to no one as I pass on the path, trees
offering their blossoms, a child
who lifts his almond eyes and smiles.
Somehow they always find me, seem even
to be waiting, determined to keep me
from myself, from the thing that calls to me
as it must have once called to them—
this temptation to step off the edge
and fall weightless, away from the world.

QUOTE:  "When autumn darkness falls, what we will remember are the small acts of kindness: a cake, a hug, an invitation to talk, and every single rose. These are all expressions of a nation coming together and caring about its people." ~ Jens Stoltenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment