Monday, April 27, 2020

Love Potion No. 9 (The Searchers)

My friend Raina Rose is a wonderful singer-songwriter, which is how I knew her first.  She played my Labyrinth Cafe concert series in April 2012, a co-bill with Rebecca Loebe, and it was such a great night, as they are also best friends!  Not sure how many years ago Raina developed what she called her "side hustle", aptly named Folk Potions.  I am all about Radical Self-Care, and highly recommend the products I have bought, which I have also sent as gifts.  The Magic Face Oil is an integral part of my morning skincare routine:

All natural, organic, small batch dreamy creams, salves and herbal-infused oils for daily + ritual use. Hand crafted in Austin, Texas by folksinger and mother of two, Raina Rose. Thoughtfully balanced and prepared with the whole family in mind. 

So, I posted before that I stopped taking Aleve for my sciatica, and was incorporating other, more natural, ways to relieve the pain.  Had an epiphany moment this past Saturday morning while out on my walk, and couldn't wait to come home and order Raina's CBD & Arnica Pain Relief Salve (I actually bought the 2-oz. tin).  There are lots of CBD products out there, but I know and trust Raina.  I reiterate:  this was mid-day Saturday.  It arrived today (Monday!), and she had included a bottle of ingestible CBD tincture, too...  :-)

Well,
I of course had to use them both immediately, applying the salve to my lower back, and putting a droplet of the tincture in my turmeric/ginger/lemon/pepper wellness shot.  I honestly can't think of the last time I felt such relaxation of my sciatica pain, even when I was taking the Aleve (which I haven't for a week now).  I am not feeling the tightness in my hamstrings nor the electric shock down the backs of my legs right now.  Her healing potions are a true gamechanger!


SONG:  Love Potion No. 9 by The Searchers

BOOK:  Wellness Witch: Healing Potions, Soothing Spells, and Empowering Rituals for Magical Self-Care by Nikki Van De Car, Anisa Makhoul (Illustrator)

POEM:  What potion should I give the night so she’ll always wonder? by Abraham Sutzkever (translated by Zackary Sholem Berger)


What potion should I give the night so she’ll always wonder?
Her pounding heart’s a rider galloping from the burning wood.

Maybe my pharmacist is awake the next street over?
In a crucible of  bone, snake tears mixed with herbs.

Should I hurry? Call the doctor? A heart like hers is rare.
And to tell the truth, if it shattered, what would I do?

QUOTE:  "My husband perpetually makes fun of me about my creams and my jars and potions and lotions, but its simpler than anyone makes it: clean, tone, keep yourself moisturized. The rest is internal: Protect yourself from the sun and drink water." ~ 
Brooke Shields

No comments:

Post a Comment