Thursday, September 27, 2007

Walk of Life by Dire Straits

My friend N came over for dinner last night... and we had the most wonderful time catching up one-on-one, face-to-face, as opposed to our usual hit-and-run, e-mail and phone relationship - he played and sang Love Hurts... once in the kitchen and again on the patio, not having a clue as to the painful yet cathartic significance. We drank wine, we ate crusty bread dipped in olive oil and spices, we traded mind/heart/spirit stuff - at one point we were bemoaning our respective rounder-than-we'd-like-to-be physiques and I said that we should make a pact to motivate each other into improved fitness/nutrition habits.

We immediately came up with a concrete number of pounds to be shed, a finite date by which we'd like to accomplish and tools to spur each other's progress - at that point (11:00 p.m.) N said, "let's go for a walk now. It doesn't have to be long or far but it will validate our intent". I smiled in agreement, headed for the closet to lace up my too-long-ignored Reeboks, took off my scarf and earrings (but chose not to change out of my dress) and we were out the door - I was immediately transported back to an amazing year of my life in which I walked almost every single day. I felt like a filly out of the starting gate again and I ached to be back in exercise-addicted mode - we only went around the block but my pace was swift and joyful, in remembrance of days past and anticipation of times future - I have vowed to meet these goals to feel better about myself in more ways than just physical...

Plus we were able to have a front-and-center view of last night's amazing full harvest moon, which seemed symbolic (and you know how much import I attribute to signs/portents/omens) - feets, don't fail me now (and thanks, N, for both the nudge and the support... <3>



POEM: Earth Your Dancing Place by May Swenson

Beneath heaven's vault
remember always walking
through halls of cloud
down aisles of sunlight
or through high hedges
of the green rain
walk in the world
highheeled with swirl of cape
hand at the swordhilt
of your pride
Keep a tall throat
Remain aghast at life
Enter each day
as upon a stage
lighted and waiting
for your step
Crave upward as flame
have keenness in the nostril
Give your eyes
to agony or rapture
Train your hands
as birds to be
brooding or nimble
Move your body
as the horses
sweeping on slender hooves
over crag and prairie
with fleeing manes
and aloofness of their limbs
Take earth for your own large room
and the floor of earth
carpeted with sunlight
and hung round with silver wind
for your dancing place

QUOTE: "Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events, not of words. Trust movement." ~ Alfred Adler

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to mark that commitment to yourself! I remember those walking days, my friend, and how I had to nearly run to keep up with you..in more ways than one. ;-)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, M ~

    It's been hard to keep the commitment with all the rain we've been having - the spirit is willing, but the streets are wet!

    I remember those walking days as well - from your mouth to god's ears I can achieve that pace again (and you set your own high bar in many areas of which I can only dream, my friend... :-)

    ReplyDelete