Tuesday, September 29, 2020

My Shot (from the Hamilton soundtrack)

[Sarah's Besties gave her the "Rise up" bracelet a few days ago as one of her birthday presents; I bought the "How lucky we are to be alive right now" bangle for myself at the beginning of the pandemic!]

Recently back from an overnight getaway that was life-changing.  My daughter Sarah's 39th birthday was yesterday and, to celebrate, she wanted to check into a hotel on the beach, at first as a solo adventure but, when she decided she'd rather have company, she invited me!  Be still, my Mama Lion heart... 💓

It began as a west-coast-of-Florida plan (Marco Island or Naples), because of our memories of family vacation at Ft. Myers Beach as well as hopes for a sunset viewing; unfortunately weather reports on that side of the state were not favorable, so tag, Ft. Lauderdale Beach, you're it!

I told her I'd supply breakfasts, lunches, snacks (all vegan, of course!), and beverages (alcohol- and non-) for the trip.  A bit of backstory is that I helped her make a mix CD years (9?) ago for a friends' road trip to Key West, and I still had a copy (!), so I popped that in as soon as I picked her up at 10:30 a.m. Sunday.

We got to the hotel about 11, and our room was ready so we were able to check in immediately (small Mom-and-Pop place, clean, right on the beach, 6th floor ocean view), and were down at the beach by 11:30 a.m., Bloody Marys in hand, with yummy vegan quesadillas, and seconds on Bloodys.  The resort fee included lounge chairs and an umbrella, and we were smart to avoid direct sun most of the day.  Ocean was very calm the first day (people were actually paddleboarding!), and we took multiple dips to refresh and cool off.  We segued to grapefruit vodka with grapefruit seltzer, then Long Island Ice Teas (cheers to Connie/Mom/Mimi!), then chick'n salad on whole wheat buns, then another round of LIITs.

Came out from under the umbrella about 3 p.m. for some sun; throughout the day we segued from laughter to deep conversation back to laughter.  Beach Chair Man said he was collecting lounges about 5:30, at which point the sun had dipped behind the building, so we went for a walk, and Sarah got the low beach chairs out of my trunk, and we sat for another hour and a half, then went upstairs to shower and change.  Had some wine, followed by Fireball shots (accompanied by a hilarious video that will *never* see the light of day!).  I drank more in 12 hours than I have in the previous six months.  This probably goes without saying (if you've met either one of us), but we are both fun "drunks" (nothing sloppy, belligerent, slurring, repetitive, stumbling); as I said before, so much laughter!

At that point, we hadn't decided what to do about dinner, and decided to visit their downstairs open-air restaurant about 8 p.m.; Sarah had a lobster wrap (with a side of the best fries either one of us had ever had!), I had a yummy salad with black bean crumbles instead of lobster and, yes, we also had wine with dinner... 😄

Back upstairs by 10 p.m., snacked on dark-chocolate-covered pretzels and oatmeal raisin cookies, and in the bed by 11:30 p.m., thankyoujesus with two extra-strength Tylenol and, believe it or not, I felt great the next day!  Sarah went out running on the beach (it was now officially her birthday... 🎂), back to the room by 10:15 a.m., organized our stuff to be ready for a 1 p.m. check-out, and we were back down at the beach by 10:30 a.m. with our second cup of coffee and a vegan breakfast sandwich. As much as Sunday had been a day of decadence and ruination, we declared Monday to be all about detox and rehab, only imbibing water or flavored seltzer.  We stayed under the umbrella the whole time, other than another walk on the beach, and a dip in their pool; we both started new books and, lunch was leftovers from the night before.


 









Between the breeze and the lulling ocean sounds, I managed to squeeze in a 20-minute nap; sadly, all good things must come to an end and we thought it best to get on the road no later than 4 p.m. so as to avoid rush-hour traffic.  Oh, I forgot to mention that we were toasting throughout the two days, with Sarah insisting on a selfie each time (I learned the not-so-subtle art of the head tilt... 👵👸) and, when we got back to Sarah's about 4:45 p.m., we sat in the car and scrolled through.  More laughter!

To quote Angelica Schuyler in Hamilton:  "I realize three fundamental truths at the exact same time":

~ I am in awe of Sarah's kind, generous, smart, beautiful, thoughtful, wise self.  Even if she weren't my daughter, I would choose her for a friend  

~ I can still do everything I used to do; it just takes me longer to recover

~ Although the priority of this trip was obviously Sarah's birthday adventure, it was also a much-needed getaway, to remind me there is a whole world beyond the walls of my condo complex.  I can be carefree, d*mmit!

SONGMy Shot from the Hamilton soundtrack

BOOK:  Badass Affirmations: The Wit and Wisdom of Wild Women (Inspirational Quotes and Daily Affirmations for Women) by Becca Anderson

POEM(S):  The Daughter by Carmen Gimenez Smith

We said she was a negative image of me because of her lightness.
She's light and also passage, the glory in my cortex.
Daughter, where did you get all that goddess?
Her eyes are Neruda's two dark pools at twilight.
Sometimes she's a stranger in my home because I hadn't imagined her.
Who will her daughter be?
She and I are the gradual ebb of my mother's darkness.
I unfurl the ribbon of her life, and it's a smooth long hallway, doors flung open.
Her surface is a deflection is why.
Harm on her, harm on us all.
Inside her, my grit and timbre, my reckless.


Daughter by James Lenfestey

A daughter is not a passing cloud, but permanent,
holding earth and sky together with her shadow.
She sleeps upstairs like mystery in a story,
blowing leaves down the stairs, then cold air, then warm.
We who at sixty should know everything, know nothing.
We become dull and disoriented by uncertain weather.
We kneel, palms together, before this blossoming altar

QUOTE:  "What greater aspiration and challenge are there for a mother than the hope of raising a great son or daughter?" ~ Rose Kennedy

"I tell my daughter every morning, 'Now, what are the two most important parts of you?' And she says, 'My head and my heart.' Because that's what I've learned in the foxhole: What gets you through life is strength of character and strength of spirit and love." ~ Viola Davis

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michele! It was truly so much fun. What a concept, right?... :-)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful celebration and joyous fun. Love to both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you were there. How can I possibly be old enough to have a 39-year-old daughter?!? It is indeed a magical time when the role of Mom morphs into Friend... <3

      Delete
  3. Hold up. You guys did Fireball shots?? Is this whole entry code for “frat party”?? You’re amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, right?!? It was a best-case-scenario of Girls (Women?) Gone Wild, without either one of us taking off our bathing suit tops in public! Did I say laughter and fun... :-)

      Delete
  4. I am absolutely in love with this post and the two of you amazing women!!! You and Sarah on a dynamic duo beach weekend is awesome!!! I got teary eyed when you said that even if she wasn't your daughter, you'd chose her as your friend. (And yes, she is rather remarkable...as are you ❤) Top it off with a wonderful quote by Viola Davis. Perfection!!!

    I miss you so much, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although this says Unknown, by the abundance of exclamation points, as well as a perfectly placed heart, I am guessing Melanie... <3

      I miss you too, MH. Can't wait to catch up tomorrow!

      Delete