Monday, September 14, 2020

Red Dress (Susan Werner)

I seem to have gone MIA for the last 11 days.  Everything's fine (better than fine, actually); no mullygrubs here.  I just lost my concentration!  Recap, then moving forward... 😍

I placed a Publix Liquors Instacart order last week, mainly for a bottle of Kahlua that my husband splashes into his coffee every morning.  Hey, he's retired.  Anyway, the minimum for free shipping is $35.00 and I needed another $10.00 to qualify.  Looked around on the website and ended up choosing a bottle of Long Island Iced Tea, which was so random until I remembered that my mother's birthday was September 9 (a few days away) and that was the drink of tradition whenever she and her Besties went out to dinner.  I told Sarah about it, and she and I will get together soon, whereupon we will toast Connie/Mom/Mimi.  Hard to believe that this past July 19, it will be 11 years since her passing, and this would have been her 90th birthday.

Watched The Dedicated Concert, a livestreaming Dar Williams event last Thursday.  It was so beautiful, with all the sweet dedications from her fans to friends, partners, etc., some delivered live, some via Dar, and others written in the comments and/or scrolled across the bottom of the screen.  Lovely!

Finished cleaning out Reba's apartment, and showed up Friday (with my coffee, peanut butter and banana sandwich, and phone)  to wait for the donations pick-up, with a 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. window of opportunity.  Fortunately they showed up at 11:00 a.m., so now everything is out of there, the cleaning lady can come, and R can then turn it back over to the leasing office.

This past Saturday was my last visit to the chiropractor, the end of my one-month/12-week/three-times-a-week treatment plan.  My sciatica, as well as my neck, has improved substantially since I first started going mid-August (according to x-rays and thermal scans at the beginning and again at the end), and the doctor recommended I continue, and they offered me a follow-up once-a-week, three-month plan, but it's hard to justify the money.  I brought them a basket of wonderful vegan goodies with an effusive thank you card (under different circumstances, there would have been hugs)... and from here on out, I have committed to keep up with everything on my own:  stretches, massage, cervical fulcrum, cordless massager (no, not a Rabbit... ;-), walking, Arnica/CBD cream or salve, better posture, hold phone up at eye level rather than looking down, etc.  I can do this!

Lots of rain this past weekend (a precursor to what is now Hurricane Sally), and met up with Sarah and Colin at TreeTops Park for a puddle-jumping adventure (all of us wearing our galoshes), and Colin took it to mean total immersion.  He was so waterlogged that Sarah had to strip him down completely to put him in the carseat... :-)

Tonight at 6:00 p.m. I am virtually attending a Grassroots Fundraiser with Kamala Harris, Hillary Clinton, Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph.  Go here for more info; registration is required.

P.S.  You really must try the vegan oatmeal-raisin cookies from Whole Foods, and here's the recipe!  So. Much. Cinnamon... 💓

NR:  Death in Her Hands by Ottessa Moshfegh (I am about a third of the way through, and the proverbial jury's still out).


SONGRed Dress by Susan Werner


BOOK:  
Danger in a Red Dress 
by Christina Dodd

POEM:  The Cure by Ginger Andrews


Lying around all day
with some strange new deep blue
weekend funk, I'm not really asleep
when my sister calls
to say she's just hung up
from talking with Aunt Bertha
who is 89 and ill but managing
to take care of Uncle Frank
who is completely bed ridden.
Aunt Bert says
it's snowing there in Arkansas,
on Catfish Lane, and she hasn't been
able to walk out to their mailbox.
She's been suffering
from a bad case of the mulleygrubs.
The cure for the mulleygrubs,
she tells my sister,
is to get up and bake a cake.
If that doesn't do it, put on a red dress.

QUOTE:  "
Gossip is just news running ahead of itself in a red satin dress." ~ Liz Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment