Friday, December 15, 2023

Simple Gifts (Yo-Yo Ma & Alison Krauss)

Some of you will be getting this in the mail in the next few days; I need to unearth my holiday cards first... 🀣


Dear Friend – 

On Tuesday, December 26, it will be three months since Eric died.  My two overarching emotions are Heartbreak and Disbelief.  It is impossible (Unimaginable) to think he is never coming back.  And so I persist with my Grief Journey.  I am learning all I can about loss and healing and the (non-linear) Five Stages.  It eases my heart, and maybe I can help others in the future (although I don’t wish this tragic situation on anyone).  It is a lonely path, but it is also a road of gratitude and support and love and luck and blessings.


Adrift by Mark Nepo

Everything is beautiful and I am so sad.
This is how the heart makes a duet of
wonder and grief. The light spraying
through the lace of the fern is as delicate
as the fibers of memory forming their web
around the knot in my throat. The breeze
makes the birds move from branch to branch
as this ache makes me look for those I’ve lost
in the next room, in the next song, in the laugh
of the next stranger. In the very center, under
it all, what we have that no one can take
away and all that we’ve lost face each other.
It is there that I’m adrift, feeling punctured
by a holiness that exists inside everything.
I am so sad and everything is beautiful.


I’ve always talked about, but never implemented, a Christmas with no physical gifts, inspired by the Five Hands meme:  handmade… hand-me-down… secondhand… helping hand (donate)… hand-in-hand (spend time together).  What better time to follow through on a new tradition than this year… our First Noel without Eric?  I know that I don’t *need* any more things, and I’m guessing “stuff” might be a low priority in your life too.  My goal is to replace “stuff” with experiences.

I am sending this to friends with whom I usually exchange gifts, and I hope I’ve caught you in time (probably not, given my chronic tardiness!).  Please do not buy me anything; the generous gift of your friendship is enough.  Let’s vow to cross paths with each other more often in 2024… share more authentic and deep conversations… check in Just Because… remember how our connection began, and why it continues… encourage each other to focus on Radical Self-Care… remind each other to live intentionally and mindfully… be aware that life as we know it can change in the Blink of an Eye.

My Christmas 2023 present for you is:

(and I will fill in the blanks here...)

Happy Holidays, and So. Much. Love. Always… πŸŽ…πŸŽ„πŸŽ

SONG:  Simple Gifts, covered by Yo-Yo Ma & Alison Krauss

BOOK:  Calm Christmas and a Happy New Year: a little book of festive joy by Beth Kempton

POEM(S):  A Gift by Denise Levertov

Just when you seem to yourself
nothing but a flimsy web
of questions, you are given
the questions of others to hold
in the emptiness of your hands,
songbird eggs that can still hatch
if you keep them warm,
butterflies opening and closing themselves
in your cupped palms, trusting you not to injure
their scintillant fur, their dust.
You are given the questions of others
as if they were answers
to all you ask. Yes, perhaps
this gift is your answer. 


Meditation by Jay Leeming

You’re trying to meditate. Cushion
beneath you, eyes slightly open,
breath growing calm and steady.
But there are sounds, distractions,
thoughts: the distant highway,
a blue jay announcing himself,
a car starting down the block.
Always the struggle to pull attention
back to breath, to let each thought
go, not to cling or to keep
but to let it drop like a stone
fallen from your hand. And at times
you manage to stumble briefly
into peacefulness. But then
amid breath and highway and birdsong
you hear something else: the rumble
of a large truck, a sound growing louder
as it rounds the corner, creaks,
then pulls up maybe a half-block away.
The engine shudders into silence.
Footsteps in the street, stray words
you can’t make out, the slam of doors.
More words, a pause, and then the kick
and climbing roar of a wood-chipper
settling in to its raw throne of noise.
The quiet shreds and scatters
with the blow, then re-shapes itself
into a steady grinding drone.
And now comes the crack and shatter
of branches fed into it, the buzz
of tree-limbs being ground to dust.
You wrestle your attention back
to your breath as the tree is fed
into the machine. And hours later
when the workers have gone
and the street is quiet again it happens
without a thought, as while walking
down the block you simply find yourself
there, beside the stump, noticing
how it has been cut nearly level
with the ground so that you can count
the rings, and kneeling down
beside it you begin to count them,
rings of a tree probably thirty
or forty years old, and around you
sawdust scattered in the grass,
a few scraps of leaf, and over your head
an empty space left in the air.

QUOTE(S):  "Joy appears now in the little things. The big themes remain tragic but a leaf fluttered in through the window this morning, as if supported by the rays of the sun, a bird settled on the fire escape, joy in the taste of coffee. Joy accompanied me as I walked to the press. The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." ~ AnaΓ―s Nin

"Through the empty branches the sky remains.  It is what you have." ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

"Brave birds still fly through fog." ~ anonymous 7th grader

“I have noticed that when all the lights are on, people tend to talk about what they are doing – their outer lives. Sitting round in candlelight or firelight, people start to talk about how they are feeling – their inner lives. They speak subjectively, they argue less, there are longer pauses. To sit alone without any electric light is curiously creative. I have my best ideas at dawn or at nightfall, but not if I switch on the lights – then I start thinking about projects, deadlines, demands, and the shadows and shapes of the house become objects, not suggestions, things that need to be done, not a background to thought.” ―Jeanette Winterson

"For it is in giving that we receive." ~ St. Francis of Assisi 

3 comments:

  1. "It is enough.

    What we have to go under the tree and in the stockings will be enough. Nothing else will be purchased. No more products will be researched. No more product reviews will be read. I will delete the Amazon app. I will stay out of the stores as much as possible.

    Every holiday event we are attending is already on the calendar. Nothing else will be added. No more traditions will be brainstormed and master minded. No more crafts will be Pinterest boarded.

    We have enough. We are doing enough. We will eat food, and it will be enough. What we have will spark enough magic, make enough merry.

    It is enough.

    I relinquish my role as chief magic maker.
    I become a co-participant in magic instead.

    Anything that doesn't get done really isn't that important. I refuse to work myself into a holiday frenzy, a mad dash, a final push. Whenever I feel it coming on, I will remember that the simplest things make the magic.

    Now we give ourselves space to let the magic settle. Now we give ourselves presence:

    A hymn clunked out with one finger on the piano. A single candle lit in the darkness. A slow drive through any neighborhood to look for lights. A cup of hot cocoa and a cheery movie. A phone call to a friend.

    I will be the still, small figure in the middle of the whirling snow globe.

    The magic will come. The magic is here. The magic of what IS will be enough."
    ~ Catherine Gray (thanks and love to Michele for the heads-up to this... <3)

    ReplyDelete