Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Keeping the Light On (Joy Oladokun)

First of all, if you haven't seen tonight's Full Moon, go go go outside *now* to view!  Also, I am making Moon Water, even as I type... πŸŒ•

Chico and I watched Love Actually Friday night, for the first time this season (finally!).

Saturday was Garden Day and, after posting my "report"... as is my custom, I went off the grid for 48-ish hours.  On Christmas Eve Day (Sunday), we met up with Sarah and Colin to watch Migration in the movie theater (3D!), and then to Sarah's to enjoy subs for dinner and a bit of hangtime with Colin before he left out cookies (which we made!) and milk for Santa/apples for the reindeer, then headed home.

I was very much dreading Christmas Day (Monday) with the family but, thanks to our love and patience with each other, I was surrounded by peace and even glimmers of joy.  From the fab brunch (each item more yummy than the next)... to the perfect presents (Rob's rose-colored glasses for everyone won Christmas!)... to Colin taking great delight in helping open *our* presents too before he left to go to his Dad's for the rest of the day... to a very sweet conversation about E (all the emotions)... to Scrabble (Sarah, who balked at playing, ended up in second place, only 1 point behind Rob; I, who normally kicks everyone's *ssπŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯ (see below), had vowels throughout 2/3 of the game and couldn't manage to catch up)... to the Taylor Swift Eras movie in the background... to Chinese food for dinner... it was a beautiful day from start to finish.  Naturally Colin brightened things up and there was much laughter.  

Also, Sarah found this Acoustic Christmas Spotify playlist, which we listened to all day and, honestly, I may continue into 2024.  Beautiful... πŸ’–

Late last night (still Christmas), I sipped on a mug of decaf coffee infused with a hot cocoa bomb and marshmallows and felt... dare I say... content?  We *are* an amazing family.  I love them so much, and am very proud of us all for navigating this difficult journey.  Today marks three months since Eric died.  We made it through our second First without E.  In this morning's MossFam text thread, Sarah called it "a surprisingly peaceful day"... ΰ₯

Hoping you and yours experienced much love, as well as the perfect balance of celebration and comfort... πŸ₯³πŸ•‰ 

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯Part of our family conversation yesterday touched on my competitive nature (which only rears its ugly head during board games); Sarah described my style throughout the decades:  "the b*tch has never rolled over"... 🀣



Not knowing when
the dawn will come
I open every
door.
~ Emily Dickinson


What is born in you this day? by Beth Weaver-Kreider

What 
Yulelight
Candlelight
Christlight
Heartlight
Moonlight 
will shine forth from your eyes
from the tips of your fingers
from the well of your heart
from the root of your soul
to bless the world today?

May you know the light
feel the light
bear the light
be the light.


I Heard a Bird Sing by Oliver Herford

I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December.
A magical thing
And sweet to remember.
"We are nearer to Spring 
Than we were in September,” 
I heard a bird sing 
In the dark of December. 


Let This Darkness Be a Bell Tower by Rainer Maria Rilke

Quiet friend who has come so far,
feel how your breathing makes more space around you.
Let this darkness be a bell tower
and you the bell. As you ring,
what batters you becomes your strength.
Move back and forth into the change.
What is it like, such intensity of pain?
If the drink is bitter, turn yourself to wine.
In this uncontainable night,
be the mystery at the crossroads of your senses,
the meaning discovered there.
And if the world has ceased to hear you,
say to the silent earth: I flow.
To the rushing water, speak: I am.


Peace Enters My Heart by Maureen Kwiat Meshenberg

peace enters my heart,
though I have touched-
the chaos of my living,
it sometimes wears-
on my soul,
I settle inside,
the sanctuary
of the season,
it clothes me in rest-
I am tethered to the stars,
that rest their light on-
a winters night,
I rise with the light-
of a thousand suns,
settling on my memory-
with bright exultation, 
I come to greet the day,
with tenderness of love-
reaching inside,
this quiet-
silent night morning- 
let it move from me,
songs that echo-
from the angels singing,
peace on earth,
peace on earth,
goodwill to men-
to all of humanity,
to all creatures-
settling in sacred rest,  
it is from my heart-
a beginning is birthed,
I reach-
and take your hand,
we enter into-
our holy place,
of comfort and love-
of forgiving grace,
towards ourselves-
towards the world,
for what abides with me-
this morning of brilliant becoming,
is our constant-
our shining that guides us,
even in our darkest of times. 

QUOTE(S)
:  “To comfort a grieving friend, just say anything; it doesn’t have to be perfect. Grief can feel very lonely (like the poem ‘Stop All the Clocks’), so it’s very comforting when a friend recognizes your loss and what a big deal it is. Instead of platitudes (‘everything happens for a reason’), just say something that feels authentic, even if it’s just ‘I wish I knew what to say,’ or ‘I love you, and this really sucks.’” ~ Lucy Kalanithi

"Although our loved ones may not be around, their spirit lives on in every joyful moment we share during the Christmas season." ~ Unknown 

2 comments:

  1. I’m glad your second First was peaceful and filled with love. May the new year bring - well, I was going to say peace, and then perhaps acceptance, and with each new thought I realized what I wish for you is: whatever you need to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dear Judi. We have certainly learned that, just as there are many stages of grief, there are also multiple levels of healing. My mantra lately has been The Band's lyric: "take what you need and leave the rest". Your continued love and support means much... <3

      Delete