Monday, July 13, 2020

Who Needs Wings to Fly (sung by Sally Field, as The Flying Nun)

I read Sally Field's autobiography last week (obviously self-penned).  Although the writing is meh, it is extremely honest.  I've always appreciated her as an actress but, upon finishing, I came away with a new-found respect.  She began her career with Gidget and The Flying Nun, two TV series that attempted to typecast her in a fluffy comedienne role, and a large part of the rest of her life was breaking through to be considered for quality roles, which eventually happened, much of it due to her diligence in taking classes with Lee Strasberg at the Actors Studio.  She won an Academy Award for Best Actress in 1979 for Norma Rae, and another in 1984 for Places in the Heart.

I was not previously aware of the childhood trauma suffered, which informed everything from her choice of men to her relationship with her mother to her parenting decisions, but she never stopped viewing her crossroads as growth opportunities, and finally integrated her various selves into wholeness (much like Sybil, for which she won an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama or Comedy Special).

Subsequently, I've been working my way through Field's filmography of lesser-known movies; don't waste your time on Stay Hungry or Maybe I'll Come Home in the Spring... but I highly recommend Two Weeks, which not only brought up memories of the end-of-life journey with my mom, but also inspired me to fast-forward to the stage when I am the one in need of caregiving... 💔


I may even start watching her TV series Brothers & Sisters, which I somehow passed over when it ran from 2006 to 2011.  All this to say, I applaud Sally Field for overcoming adversity and life obstacles to become who she is now, both professionally and personally.


SONGWho Needs Wings to Fly (sung by Sally Field)

BOOKIn Pieces by Sally Field

POEM:  
The Threat by Denise Duhamel

my mother pushed my sister out of the apartment door with an empty 
suitcase because she kept threatening to run away  my sister was sick of me
getting the best of everything  the bathrobe with the pink stripes instead of 
the red  the soft middle piece of bread while she got the crust  I was sick with 
asthma and she thought this made me a favorite

I wanted to be like the girl in the made-for-tv movie Maybe I'll Come Home
in the Spring   which was supposed to make you not want to run away but it 
looked pretty fun especially all of the agony it put your parents through and 
the girl was in California or someplace warm with a boyfriend and they
always found good food in the dumpsters  at least they could eat pizza and 
candy and not meat loaf  the runaway actress was Sally Field or at least
someone who looked like Sally Field as a teenager  the Flying Nun propelled 
by the huge wings on the sides of her wimple  Arnold the Pig getting drafted
in Green Acres my understanding then of Vietnam  I read Go Ask Alice and 
The Peter Pan Bag books that were designed to keep a young girl home  but 
there were the sex scenes and if anything this made me want to cut my hair 
with scissors in front of the mirror while I was high on marijuana but I
couldn't inhale because of my lungs  my sister was the one to pass out
behind the church for both of us  rum and angel dust

and that's how it was  my sister standing at the top of all those stairs that 
lead up to the apartment and she pushed down the empty suitcase that
banged the banister and wall as it tumbled and I was crying on the other side 
of the door because I was sure it was my sister who fell  all ketchup blood and 
stuck out bones  my mother wouldn't let me open the door to let my sister 
back in  I don't know if she knew it was just the suitcase or not  she was cold 
rubbing her sleeves a mug of coffee in her hand and I had to decide she said I 
had to decide right then
QUOTE:  "I was raised to sense what someone wanted me to be and be that kind of person. It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else's eyes." ~ Sally Field

4 comments:

  1. Loooove Brothers & Sisters. Your caring for your mom was the first I ever learned about home hospice. I’ve carried that with me, and it’s informed a good deal of choices I’d like to make. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Amy, thanks for reading, as well as commenting! You like me, you really like me... ;-)

      I vividly recall your compassionate and supportive comments on my blog back then. Can you believe that this Sunday, July 19, is the 11-year "anniversary" of my Mom's passing? Wow.

      You should watch Two Weeks, and I will view my first episode of Brothers & Sisters tonight.

      Sending love to you and Wee Dude... <3 <3

      Delete
  2. I loved Brothers and Sisters, and felt the same about Sally’s book. I rewatched Norma Rae shortly after, such a great film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, you know you were the inspiration for me reading In Pieces. I had it marked in Goodreads for a while, and my library finally got it! I definitely want to rewatch Norma Rae, as well as Places in the Heart. Sybil too, although it is set up only to buy, not rent.

      How in the world did I not watch Brothers & Sisters back then?!? Just finished Episode 5, and am absolutely loving it. I see myself in Nora, Rob is Kevin, Sarah is mostly Sarah with a bit of Kitty thrown in, and Eric is part Justin. I have a series of epiphanies with each episode, which makes me love my children even more... <3

      I also love that thirtysomething people are involved (Ken Olin and Patricia Wettig!), and that the music is sooooo Six Feet Under... :-)

      Five seasons seems daunting, but I will eat it like an elephant, one bite at a time!

      Delete