Monday, February 17, 2020

It's Delovely (Cole Porter)

I just can't say enough good things about The Miami Book Fair.  I always knew it was *there*, but I never really took advantage of it until about five years ago.  Now it's chiseled in stone on my life calendar every mid-November.  Thanks to Judi for my virgin experience (she showed me the proverbial ropes!), which helped me push past my fear of the unknown such that I have the courage to continue (even solo, if necessary, which has sometimes been the case).

They always have a great line-up of familiar names, and I've had the satisfaction of checking off some Bucket List authors (Ann Patchett, Billy Collins, Joy Harjo, Mark Doty, and more) as well as the surprise of new discoveries.  When I was still working, I kept my car radio on WLRN, the local NPR station, where I received my news as well as my culture (book and music reviews).  On the way home one afternoon, an interview with Ross Gay aired (about the below book) and I could not wait to get home and order it.  Imagine my pleasure when he was on a panel at the 2019 MBF, and my validation that he was just as delightful in person.  I brought my book from home, which he autographed for me:  "To Susan - In Joy Together!".  I will never forget his open face, and his warm demeanor.


SONG:  It's Delovely (Cole Porter)


BOOK:  The Book of Delights: Essays by Ross Gay

POEM:  The Delight Song of Tsoai-talee by N. Scott Momaday

I am a feather on the bright sky
I am the blue horse that runs in the plain
I am the fish that rolls, shining, in the water
I am the shadow that follows a child
I am the evening light, the lustre of meadows
I am an eagle playing with the wind
I am a cluster of bright beads
I am the farthest star
I am the cold of dawn
I am the roaring of the rain
I am the glitter on the crust of the snow
I am the long track of the moon in a lake
I am a flame of four colors
I am a deer standing away in the dusk
I am a field of sumac and the pomme blanche
I am an angle of geese in the winter sky
I am the hunger of a young wolf
I am the whole dream of these things

You see, I am alive, I am alive
I stand in good relation to the earth
I stand in good relation to the gods
I stand in good relation to all that is beautiful
I stand in good relation to the daughter of Tsen-tainte
You see, I am alive, I am alive

QUOTE:  "Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit." ~ e. e. cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment