Monday, March 31, 2008

Run the Wild Country (Louise Taylor)

Much as I tend to dislike horses (or maybe it's because I'm afraid of them), I find they are very much in my life - my Chinese zodiac sign is The Horse, my now-defunct booking agency was called Horse of a Different Color Booking and a variety of other examples as well. For whatever reason, we seem to be inextricably linked - I wonder if I have some sort of past life connection with equines.

MH and I started a mutually-supportive self-nurturing program last week, and we've walked 7 days out of the last 10 (as well as begun to eat more healthy and mindfully) - I've said that I look forward to it now, like a thoroughbred out of the starting gate... and this poem and song illustrate my renewed life enjoyment...

SONG: Run the Wild Country by Louise Taylor

BOOK:
Riding into Your Mythic Life: Transformational Adventures with the Horse by Patricia Broersma, Jean Houston (Foreword)

POEM: The Great Affair by Diane Ackerman

The great affair, the love affair with life,
is to live as variously as possible,
to groom one's curiosity like a high-spirited thoroughbred,
climb aboard, and gallop over the thick, sun-struck hills every day.

Where there is no risk, the emotional terrain is flat and unyielding,
and, despite all its dimensions, valleys, pinnacles, and detours,
life will seem to have none of its magnificent geography, only a length.

It began in mystery, and it will end in mystery,

but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between.

QUOTE: "A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence." ~ Pam Brown

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Gillian ~

    Thanks for taking the time to stop in and comment... on two past posts, no less! - glad these resonated with you... :-)

    ReplyDelete