Thursday, March 27, 2008

Be Here Now (Willy Porter)

My devotion to Christine Kane's songs and blog posts have been detailed here before - her wisdom comes in many ways, shapes and sizes and almost everything she writes hits me in the heart at one time or another.

Christine's last few posts have focused on the two goals I'm trying to set in my life these days: releasing clutter and living mindfully - the more I attempt, the more I realize both are hopelessly/helplessly intertwined... and when I accomplish the former, I'll have much better luck with the latter!

Todd Snider sings, "you're either out of control or you're stuck" - I used to believe that, but I'm more willing these days to strive for the balance/moderation/happy medium (I can hear the mumblings now: "who are you and what have you done with Susan?"... :-)


I can't seem to find a link to this specific song but did manage to unearth a jumble of the entire CD's lyrics - since they're foundational to the theme of this post, I've copied and pasted...

SONG: Be Here Now by Willy Porter

Chorus:
If we can think it
we can do it
we can be it
We've got to be here now

Can't find your soul inside a bottle
Can't smoke love out of a pipe
Ain't no short-cut to the Bodhisattva
Only dim out your flashlight

Chorus

It's like my brother Tom he told me
He said, man you think too hard
If you can't make a decision,
Get your head out of the way of your heart

Chorus

May your feet be firmly grounded
And rooted in black soil
Give your conscience to the children
Help to spread some peace and joy

Chorus


POEM: You made crusty bread rolls... by Gary Johnson

You made crusty bread rolls filled with chunks of brie
And minced garlic and drizzled with olive oil
And baked them until the brie was bubbly
And we ate them thoughtfully, our legs coiled
Together under the table
And then salmon with dill
And lemon and whole-wheat cous cous
Baked with garlic and fresh ginger, and a hill
Of green beans and carrots roasted with honey and tofu.
It was beautiful, the candles and linens and silver,
The winter sun setting on our snowy street,
Me with my hand on your leg, you, my lover,
In your jeans and green T-shirt and beautiful feet.
How simple life is. We buy a fish. We are fed.
We sit close to each other, we talk and then we go to bed.

QUOTE: "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." ~Annie Dillard

No comments:

Post a Comment