Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Your Life Story (Mary Chapin Carpenter)

My husband is fond of saying, "don't worry about how something got to be a problem... just fix it" - for various reasons, a dear friend and I had allowed ourselves to drift out of touch for the last two years... and, after repeated attempts to get together, we finally did this evening... for a few hours, over a couple glasses of wine each and some delicious appetizers. It was delightful to begin the catching-up process and to prove that friendship does transcend barriers of time when hearts are in the right place - we picked up right where we left off and, although there is still much more to share, we made a good start. What I especially loved is that, while we did a bit of reminiscing (so many good memories), we also talked about the present and future - it felt comfortable... and loving... and right... and we've vowed to do it again (thanks, MW... <3>

SONG: Your Life Story by Mary Chapin Carpenter

BOOK: Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells

POEM: A Time to Talk by Robert Frost

When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am, 'What is it?'
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.

QUOTE: "Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story." ~ Tim O'Brien

1 comment: