Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Mountain (Dave Carter)

I promised Dave Carter today, and here is one of many from his brilliant repertoire - Dave left this earth entirely too early, and I'll go into further detail in July (this coming one, impossible to believe, marking the fifth year since his death)...

My mom was in the hospital overnight for observation, as her illness while visiting us segued to bronchitis which turned into pneumonia - all's well now... but this song choice seemed fitting for a thank-goodness-it-had-a-happy-ending Sunday (one foot in ice, one in fire indeed)...

SONG: The Mountain by Dave Carter

BOOK: Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott

POEM: The House of Belonging ~ David Whyte

I awoke this morning in the gold light
turning this way and that

thinking for a moment it was one day like any other.

But the veil had gone from my darkened heart and I thought
it must have been the quiet candlelight that filled my room,
it must have been the first easy rhythm with which I breathed myself to sleep,
it must have been the prayer I said speaking to the otherness of the night.

And I thought this is the good day you could meet your love,
this is the black day someone close to you could die.
This is the day you realize how easily the thread is broken

between this world and the next
and I found myself sitting up in the quiet pathway of light,
the tawny close-grained cedar burning round me like fire
and all the angels of this housely heaven ascending
through the first roof of light the sun has made.

This is the bright home in which I live,
this is where I ask my friends to come,
this is where I want to love all the things
it has taken me so long to learn to love.
This is the temple of my adult aloneness

and I belong to that aloneness as I belong to my life.

There is no house like the house of belonging.

QUOTE: "Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is, in the boredom and pain of it, no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it, for in the last analysis, all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace." ~ Frederick Buechner

No comments:

Post a Comment