Friday, May 18, 2007

My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors (Moxy Fruvous)

It should be obvious by now I have an obsession with the written word... whether novels, lyrics, rhyme schemes or pearls of wisdom - I inherited my love of language (English major, journalism minor) from my father, and it can be a blessing and a curse. My brain is wired for left-of-center, smart, dense, layered richness - I much prefer an ongoing unraveling epiphany to the easy sledgehammer a-ha. I won't buy a purse if it's not big enough to carry a book - enough said... :-)

SONG: My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors by Moxy Fruvous

BOOK: Ex-Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman

POEM: Book Lice by Paul Flieschman (from Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices)

This poem is intended as a duet, but formatting issues would not allow me to type the verses in as they were meant to be read, making for possible confusion. I went googling (who knew it could be a verb?) and was lucky enough to find a few complete passages from the book, complete with original illustrations. Scroll down to page 15 for Book Lice - if you decide to read this aloud with someone, pay attention to the "his/her loud snoring" line!


QUOTE: "We need the books that affect us like disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." ~ Franz Kafka

No comments:

Post a Comment