Tuesday, January 30, 2024

January Knows (Open Book)

What a year indeed.  Thirty days in (or 
six thousand, one hundred and eighty-four, as referenced in the poem below).  After three months of self-imposed hermiting, cocooning, hibernating... January came in like the proverbial lion (two months early), and it's all just been sensory overload this month.  I feel like a mole coming out of its tunnel into broad daylight; I just want to go back in/down.  Trying to follow L's  recommendation, but there aren't enough Pauses in the world to acclimate me to so much brightness.  Blink.  Blink.  Blink.  Pass the shades, extra UV protection please... 😎

I've been meaning to share that I've fallen down the Northern Exposure rabbithole, now streaming on Amazon Prime.  I was obsessed on its first run, six seasons from 1990-1995 and, although it sometimes feels a bit dated, it's still clever, quirky, soul-filling:  whining Fleischman... Maggie and her opposite-of-Midas-Touch when it comes to boyfriends... Chris in the Morning with his raging pheromones (John Corbett in what I think was his first major role)... Shelley's earrings du jour, etc. etc. etc.  I realized tonight that my new mantra is WWMD (What Would Marilyn Do?).  If you know, you know, right?


SONGJanuary Knows by Open Book


POEM(S):  Mnemonic by Brian Bilston

Thirty days hath September,
April, June and November.
Unless a leap year is its fate,
February hath twenty-eight.
All the rest hath three days more,
excepting January,
which hath six thousand,
one hundred and eighty-four.


To the New Year by W S. Merwin

With what stillness at last
you appear in the valley
your first sunlight reaching down
to touch the tips of a few
high leaves that do not stir
as though they had not noticed
and did not know you at all
then the voice of a dove calls
from far away in itself
to the hush of the morning

so this is the sound of you
here and now whether or not
anyone hears it this is
where we have come with our age
our knowledge such as it is
and our hopes such as they are
invisible before us
untouched and still possible

QUOTE:  
“These memories of happiness are fleeting things, reflections in a stream, glimpsed all broken for a second and then swept away in the current of grief that is our life now. I can't say that I ever feel what it felt like then, when I was happy. But sometimes something will touch the place where that feeling was, a touch as slight and swift as the brush of a moth's wing in the dark.” ~ Geraldine Brooks

2 comments:

  1. Ah..Marilyn..years later we saw the actress who portrayed her driving backwards in her "Rez Car" while Road Buddy played in the background..:) I agree that John Corbett was, and still is, a dreamboat, especially as Chris in the Morning. *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great memories, Michele! I corralled you other three villagers to accompany me to a viewing of Smoke Signals for my birthday (one of the fortysomethings), and we almost got kicked out of the movie theater because of our boisterous excitement at hearing Dar's song on the big screen. Ha!
      I have yet to see the third Big Fat Greek Wedding movie, but I've very much enjoyed Aidan in the Sex and the City series, as well as his return in two of the movies. Swoonworthy indeed... <3

      Delete