Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Between Here and Gone (Mary Chapin Carpenter)

Seems crazy it's been a week since I blogged.  Daily might have been overwhelming, but weekly feels like too much time in-between.  I might have to find a Happy Medium (maybe a Tuesday *and* Friday routine?).  Speaking of mediums, Sarah and I are looking into psychic readings.  To be continued...

My Sunday was fairly quiet (deliberately so), and then Nancy, Dave, Chico, and I went to see Jennings & Keller in concert; they tour out west from May to October, so they've only been back in town a few weeks.  Great show, in that Laurie debuted a few new songs (one inspired by an essay in Small Victories, an Anne Lamott book I gave her years ago) as well as covered *two* Joni songs (For Free and Woodstock) in honor of Joni's 80th birthday (today, actually!).  Dana played the guitar, dobro, and pedal steel (a master of all three) and their harmonies were on point; I did cry a few times, but I am so glad I went.

You may recall that I've been very insistent on attending an in-person bereavement support group, at least for the first few months, and I did find a few gatherings in the area that qualified.  Chico, Sarah, and I attended one yesterday, fairly close by (every Monday 12:30-2:30).  It was very warm and welcoming, composed mostly of women who had lost their husbands, but still resonated with us (grief is grief, right?).  On one hand, it was difficult to process so much pain from others but, on the other, they are so loving and supportive of each other, a true Village.  Many approached us afterward with hugs and kind words.  I also plan on attending a different group (every 2nd and 4th Wednesday, 5:30-6:30), also pretty close to us.  If I like them both, I'll attend both.  No one says I have to choose.  It feels like forward motion, although even lateral is intentional movement.

I spent a good bit of today on the phone with UnitedHealthcare, in search of therapists in my network; I also asked for the following filters:  close to home, female, in-person, grief... which narrowed the field down to 8 (and then 6, because two of them had *horrible* reviews).  I called one already, but haven't heard back yet.  Thinking positive... 🌞

I did begin re-watching (although it's been decades - 2001- since my first go-around) Six Feet Under, which is now available on Netflix.  I almost shut it down completely in that the first death, a bus/car accident, happened in the first 8 minutes, but I kept going, and continue to be reminded of its brilliance and resonance with my current mindset.  There are 5 seasons, and I'm going slowly, so this could take me into the New Year.

Thanksgiving.  Right now, anything is better than here, where my heart just could not handle sitting around a familiar table with my youngest in absentia.  My sister Mari has thrown herself into this wholeheartedly, for which I am extremely grateful, conjuring the joyful chaos I have cultivated over the years.  We will help, it will all be great, there will be a gap and a hole and a metaphorical empty chair, but there will also be the love of family weaving its way throughout the day... and then we can stamp paid to the first First, with more to follow for the next 11 months, and maybe it will get just a bit easier with each one, or maybe it will feel like The Worst Groundhog Day Ever, in which we rip off the band-aid for Christmas and New Year's Eve and New Year's Day and Valentine's Day and Easter and Mother's Day and Father's Day and E's birthday ad infinitum until it eventually becomes The New Normal (which sounds equally horrifying).  Who knows, right?  In the immortal words of Ani DiFranco:  "it's my first time for this kind of thing".  No Superhero complex here... 🤷


BOOK:  Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives by Louise DeSalvo

POEM(S):  Think in poems. Breathe in. 
Sing your grief. Breathe out.
Write your inner ocean in waves of words. Express your fire in exclamations on a page.  
Howl the words. Chirp them. 
Caw them across the sky.
Splash them. Sparkle them. 
Crack them open. Compost them. 
Plant them. 
Writing out the words
Rights what’s inside
And is a magical rite of inner alchemy.
Words are mighty powerful inside and out.
Express them in scribbles
Or sketches.
Express them in circles or spirals.
Keep writing till your hand hurts if you have to.
Till you are empty. Till you are shining. Till your face begins to rain. Till your heart and body and breath returns to center. 
Till you are again renewed.
~ The Wild Matryoshka


How We Are Carried by Sierra DeMulder

Did you know
fetal cells stay
in the carrier's body
after the baby 
is born?

Even if they
are not born alive
but birthed
quiet and indigo
as dusk.

For decades,
their DNA can be
found in the blood
and tissue of the one
who fashioned them.

Stuccoed to pancreas,
bone marrow,
heart, of course
that basin of folklore,
that antiquary of longing.

See how we were
designed to not let go?
How we are built
to carry love
long after it has
grown up 
and gone?

QUOTE(S):  
“Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, melancholia, the panic and fear which is inherent in a human situation.” ~ Graham Greene 

"Write hard and clear about what hurts." ~ Ernest Hemingway

"The goal of the writer is to take what’s inside their heart and make it plain on the page." ~ Ada Limon (current Poet Laureate of the United States)

7 comments:

  1. More tears.....I am so heartbroken. I don't even know how you can be in this space of unimaginable grief. You remain in thoughts💜Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanksgiving is absolutely the highlight of what I look forward to. I know it is so bittersweet for you and I am just so grateful you have found some valuable resources to guide you through this unimaginable journey.

    We are counting down the days to the gathering of the families of Driskell/Carroll/Moss/Hilton/Vo/LaPrade) did I tell you Joy’s mom and her sister are coming?!? Madison and Brandon almost were but can’t make it). It will be a day for love, blessings and family! And game night won’t suck! ❤️.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Mari, Thanksgiving will be a highlight for me as well, despite its bittersweetness. I cannot imagine being anywhere else other than surrounded by immediate as well as extended family and dear friends. I am so grateful to you for accept The Challenge!
      Love that Joy's mom (Nanny) and sister are coming too; will definitely be missing Madison and Brandon... <3
      Zippity to Game Night, whereupon I will conjure my Leona Helmsley persona!

      Delete
    2. *accepting, not accept (sheesh!)

      Delete
  3. If I cry enough, can I take some pain from you? I know it doesn’t work that way but maybe I can share the weight. -j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This quote found me the other day: “A burden shared is a burden halved." ~ unknown... but please don't cry. I feel as if I am doing enough of that for the both of us... all of us... everyone who has reached out these last six months. I *know* you are there, and I remain grateful. Continue to love your life (or find ways to love it more), keep hugging your loved ones... cherish the fragility of it all, and keep doing The Next Right Thing (TM Glennon). Love, love, and more love... <3

      Delete
    2. Ugh. You know I meant six *weeks* (not months), right? So much Brain Fog, so little time!

      Delete