Wednesday, August 5, 2020

It's [My] Birthday Today! (Epic Birthday Songs)

Posting this at 12:01 a.m., August 5, my 66th birthday.  When the f*ck did that happen?!?

Like New Year's Eve, each new trip around the sun is always a time of reflection and introspection for me, "attempting to figure out the circuitous journey I call my life: where I've been, where I am, where I'm going and who will be my traveling companions, continued or new", as I say in my blog profile.  From surrendering the Labyrinth Cafe concert series in May 2019... retiring from my office job in June 2019... and this f*cking pandemic since mid-March 2020, it's been a h*lluva year.  I have retreated, recalibrated, and regrouped.  "First World Problems" is my new mantra.  

I find myself being more direct and honest than I usually am... expressing my true feelings when something is on my mind... reaching out to make amends, repair relationships, and/or bridge distances.  We just don't know where we're headed with all of this.  Maybe part of my thought process is because my mom's passing was 11 years ago last month, and my sister, brother and I prided ourselves on not having any woulda/coulda/shouldas.  Also, as I am fond of saying, I am still 19 until I pass a mirror... ;-)

With nothing important, time-consuming, or deadline-driven to deal with, I am floundering a bit to re-find my place in the world and reclaim my worth.  I used to be so busy (to the point of ridiculousness; dare I say frenzied?) and I am not that anymore.  Whew.  Replacing that with radical self-care is not easy, when I am usually The One Who Organizes and Nurtures.  Struggling to find the balance, and it is necessary that I do. [Yo, Adriene!  Sorry that I quit ya.  Back in the cat/cow/downward-dog/pigeon/eagle/tree/cobra/Happy Baby/corpse saddle tomorrow!]

So... most of you know I deactivated my Facebook account on New Year's Eve 2019, and I haven't really missed it, other than the amazing book discussion group RWA (Readers With Attitude) that provided me with stimulation, inspiration, and hilarity... as well as excellent recommendations.

This will be my first birthday without social media, and I do confess that I will be feeling the void of the day-long deluge of well-wishes, memes, and sweet thoughts from friends and family.  Normally I honestly don't care if anyone comments on my blog, as I've always thought of it as a journal, an exercise in creativity, a way to blow off my monkey-mind steam.

Today, however, I want to ask a favor of all of you.  I am a Leo, and birthdays (all celebrations, actually) are a big deal.  We joke about having a Birth Month! 

At some point, if you are reading this, could you please:

~ wish me a Happy Birthday in the Comments box below (moderated, so it might not show up right away!)

and, if you're up to it, let me know:

~ what you're reading now, OR

~ a favorite book you've recently read, OR
~ a book you look forward to reading, OR
~ none of the above (and that's okay, too... :-)

Given this ongoing COVID Chaos, it would really mean a lot.  Thanks in advance for celebrating with me, and much love always... 💖

NR:  Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (starting at 12:02 a.m., I'm going to read all f*cking day, about as guilty a pleasure as I can imagine!  Maybe I'll even stay in my nightgown... or my bathing suit, if it's a nice day... ☀


SONG:  It's Your Birthday Today, Susan! by Epic Birthday Songs (you really *must* click on the link.  Many viewings later, I am still laughing so hard I am crying!)

BOOK:  Leo: Harness the Power of the Zodiac by Stella Andromeda

POEM:  On the Eve of a Birthday by Timothy Steele

As my Scotch, spared the water, blondly sloshes
About its tumbler, and gay manic flame
Is snapping in the fireplace, I grow youthful:
I realize that calendars aren’t truthful
And that for all of my grand unsuccesses
External causes are to blame.

And if at present somewhat destitute,
I plan to alter, prove myself more able,
And suavely stroll into the coming years
As into rooms with thick rugs, chandeliers,
And colorfully pyramided fruit
On linened lengths of table.

At times I fear the future won’t reward
My failures with sufficient compensation,
But dump me, aging, in a garret room
Appointed with twilit, slant-ceilinged gloom
And a lone bulb depending from a cord
Suggestive of self-strangulation.

Then, too, I have bad dreams, in one of which
A cowled, scythe-bearing figure beckons me.
Dark plains glow at his back: it seems I’ve died,
And my soul, weighed and judged, has qualified
For an extended, hyper-sultry hitch
Down in eternity.

Such fears and dreams, however, always pass.
And gazing from my window at the dark,
My drink in hand, I’m jauntily unbowed.
The sky’s tiered, windy galleries stream with cloud,
And higher still, the dazed stars thickly mass
In their long Ptolemaic arc.

What constellated powers, unkind or kind,
Sway me, what far preposterous ghosts of air?
Whoever they are, whatever our connection,
I toast them (toasting also my reflection),
Not minding that the words which come to mind
Make the toast less toast than prayer:

Here’s to the next year, to the best year yet;
To mixed joys, to my harum-scarum prime;
To auguries reliable and specious;
To times to come, such times being precious,
If only for the reason that they get
Shorter all the time.

QUOTE(S):  "Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!" ~ Dr. Seuss

"Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words." ~ Plautus

"We have to be able to grow up. Our wrinkles are our medals of the passage of life. They are what we have been through and who we want to be." ~ Lauren Hutton

32 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Susan! The world is brighter with you in it! I'm sure lots of folks will find their way to your page today, because you are so special to so many people! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Nancy, thanks for your sweet words, and for sharing my post on Facebook! My birthday is off to a great start already, and you have much to do with that. I cherish your friendship and your thoughtfulness. Much love always... <3

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to you, Susan, best of friends and best of women (to paraphrase you know who). I miss you madly, love you dearly, and wish you all the good things this weird world will allow in the coming year. Here's to the future being better than the past (few months).
    As to what I'm reading, I cannot handle much in the way of challenge these days. Believe it or not, I'm enjoying a series labeled 'Christian fiction' about a small town in NC, about a Father who seems to have as much doubt about his own worth sometimes as the rest of us do. It makes me laugh out loud sometimes with its quiet humor about small town characters, the awkwardness of dating in one's later years, and the joy Father Tim receives when he opens his heart and home to a few "strays." The town is Mitford (which is in the title of the first book in the series) and the author is Jan Karon.
    Enjoy your day, dear Susan. Happy Birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi, oh my god, you will soon realize the synchronicity of your first sentence! Your words are dear, and your friendship even more so. Miss you as well, and I am so grateful for our Tuesday morning Zoom calls. Can't wait to co-celebrate with you Friday evening, sister-Leo. Even more excited that our grandkids will finally meet, albeit on a small screen. Much love always... <3

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday!!!! Hope all is well with you and your clan! Miss you all and can't wait for you to come and check out my new hood!

    Currently reading Voyager by Diana Gabaldon. Third book in the Outlander series.

    Alyx is great, currently visiting her boyfriend in Sweden. Yes, I said Sweden.

    Have an absolutely fantabulous (did I just make up a new word?) day! You are greatly loved and missed!

    Stay safe and well in this crazy new world.

    Many hugs and kisses,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, so lovely to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment! Miss you too. Remember when things used to be "normal"? Oh my god, is that the same rock star guy Alyx met a few years ago?!? Wishing you safety and (semi)sanity. Much love always... <3

      Delete
  4. Susan, I don’t know what your surreal “normal” days are like in 2020, but I do hope today, your birthday showers you with unexpected joy and laughter...even behind your mask. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggi, at first I thought you were my friend Maggie in Finland, and then I checked the link and realized it's Judi's sister. How very sweet of you to chime in here. "Unexpected joy and laughter" is a perfect birthday wish. I will do my best to make you proud! Much love always... <3
      P.S. How much do you love that poem?

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday Mom!!! Love you to the moon and back every day - but today especially want you to feel as loved and celebrated as you deserve. Thanks for being my compass and helping me navigate this life, would be lost without you. Enjoy your yummy treats and read all day! We can’t wait to celebrate with you soon. Love you, Sarah and Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Sarah, as they sing in The Sound of Music, "I must have done something good" to deserve a daughter as thoughtful and generous as you (oh, and did I say smart, funny, and beautiful too?... :-) ) Thanks for always making me feel special, even when it's not my birthday! Colin sent me celebratory wishes in Swahili (ha ha ha ha ha!). Eating the yummy Parlour Vegan sandwich you sent, and saving the cookie for later. Yes, looking forward to our celebration this weekend. Much love to you both, always... <3

      Delete
  6. Happiest of HAPPY birthdays to my sweet sis! Hope your day is amazing in every way possible and that you are showered with birthday love. Used to hit you up on Facebook, text and real phone call. Substituting your blog for FB thanks to Nancy! As far as what I'm reading, it's what I'm ABOUT to read for our August Book Club. It's called Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre. Yep - our book club stretches me for sure! All who have started it have loved it so looking forward to jumping into it this weekend. PS The author Max Brooks is the son of Mel Brooks PPS From what we have shared article wise, sounds like he started writing it in March at the beginning of the pandemic. Well shoot..can't end on a Debbie Downer note, so again, hope all is wonderful and will try calling you later early evening :) Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sister-friend Mari... :-) It *has* been an amazing day, and it's barely 3:00 p.m.! As soon as you told me about that book during our last phone conversation, I marked it TBR. Got your text earlier, and looking forward to chatting later. Much love always... <3

      Delete
  7. Happy day celebrating YOU. Miss you (& our wonderful mutual friends), our adventures and our times together just being. I wish you nothing but happiness & health until your next birthday or we meet again. ♥��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggi, it's been too long! Oh, I too miss those Traveling Again times with my favorite Road Buddies... :-) A few days ago, I ran across the video you elicited from Dar for my 60th birthday party, and must have watched it 10 times. Thanks for that, and so many other gifts, the best of which is your enduring friendship. Much love always... <3

      Delete
  8. In all the theories of time relativity, parallel universes, and quantum physics properties your worth to your family and friends is unmeasursble. Be it lack of projects or concert series your value to all of us within our hearts remains magnificent and gives us strength in this society (some may consider a village).

    I am so proud to be your son, your Leo companion, but mostly...

    Your favorite child.

    ERIC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, E... thanks for taking the time to comment. This made me cry! I joke (but it's true) that you gave me all this gray hair, but all these laugh lines too. You are a very dear and special young man, and I can't wait to co-celebrate this weekend. Much love always... <3

      Delete
  9. Dearest Friend, Susan ~
    Nick and I follow up the brilliantly astute sentiment made by your "favorite son" about your magnificent value regardless of projects and side hustles with a resounding HELL YES YOU ARE!!! Eric is absolutely correct and it is clear why he is your favorite. Ha! We wish we were down South to at least socially distanced celebrate with you from across the parking lot. In our absence, please inform Chico that he now bears all of the responsibility of hugging you suffocatingly tight, holding you for an awkwardly uncomfortable prolonged amount of time, and kissing you with as much adoration as platonic friends can acceptably get away with on our behalf! May you be surrounded by magic today. We love you ridiculous amounts. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
    ~Melanie
    P.S. As requested, NR: Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies.....yep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Melanie (and Nick), thanks for the lovely validation. It was indeed a magical day, spooning with Stephen King, positively goosebumpworthy... ;-) Has it really been a year since we've seen each other (last Labyrinth Cafe show)? Inconceivable (and that word means exactly what I think it means!). Love you both beyond words... <3

      Delete
  10. Momma Moss!!! I am sending so many loving vibes your way. Wishing you a beautiful day and a beautiful year filled with countless memories of joy and love. My book recommendation is, Dave’s book - If We Were Giants. Always hoping you’re well. Much Love - Jenn LaNunziata

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn!!! How sweet are you to take the time to comment... :-) It's been a lovely, although quiet, day. Adding Dave's book to my TBR List now (and wondering why it wasn't already on there!). Stay safe and well. Much love always... <3

      Delete
  11. May you have the happiest of pandemic birthdays! I noticed your absence (and missed you) on Facebook.

    I was invited to join a book club this year... it’s been less than I hoped. But I’m reading more because of it so there’s a silver lining.

    I really enjoyed Testaments by Margaret Atwood.
    I’m currently reading Power.

    If you haven’t yet read 11/22/63 by Stephen King, I would highly recommend it!!

    Cheers to you!!!! 🎂♥️🎂♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didi, thank you for stopping in! Today was not the Leo hoopla I am used to, but that is okay. It was lovely in its own quiet way. Our book club has been on hiatus since March, and I really miss it. We are discussing starting up with Zoom meetings in September, but it's not the same (sad face). Read The Handmaid's Tale (decades ago) and Testaments is on my list. I am surprised the library is still allowing me to check out books, and I currently have mumblemumble 50 mumblemumble in my possession. Are you on Goodreads? Find me! Much love always... <3

      Delete
  12. Happy birthday sweetie! You are still 19 as far as I am concerned ...... and much, much wiser. Quoting Michelle Shocked " Keep on rocking girl!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I feel terrible that I don't know who this is! Racking my brain for other Michelle Shocked fans. Please identify yourself. Roxanne? Whoever... thanks for your sweet words, and much love always... <3

      Delete
    2. Its Chico. I am sorry, I should have identified myself. Not used to commenting on blogs.

      Delete
    3. I am laughing my *ss off! You all should have been a fly on the wall at my house yesterday, when my husband said, "how did you like my comment on your blog?", and I replied, "you didn't comment on my blog", and he said, "yes, I did. I called you sweetie", and I responded, "many people call me sweetie!". Ha ha ha ha ha! Figures that my phantom husband would post as Anonymous. Thanks for 'fessing up, babe... <3

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday Susan!! I’m not late in wishing you a fabulous birthday when you celebrate all week long, right?! Among the books I’ve read this year are Kate Atkinson’s Jackson Brodie series, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand and Daisy Jones and the Six (per your recommendation). I’m currently reading Olive Kitteridge. My favorite, somewhat recent read was Pachinko. Stay well, safe and sane in these crazy times and enjoy the weekend celebration with your kiddos!! Much love and admiration for you and look forward to seeing you soon.
    Big Hugs!
    Your cousin, Laura ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, what a lovely surprise! Not late at all; we Leos celebrate all *month* long... ;-) I have read, and loved, most of the books you list. Pachinko is near the top of my TBR pile and I will make a point to get to it soon. Even if you weren't my cousin, I would choose you for a friend, and look forward to the next time our paths cross. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and much love always... <3

      Delete
  14. Happy birthday!! (Yours remains on my calendar AND I remain unable to read a calendar, hahaha) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy! You are a darling to check in. Calendars are but suggestions to a Leo, as we claim the entire month of August for our own... :-) Hope you and Wee Dude (who got a shout-out from Dar, so very cool!) are safe and as sane as possible. Much love always... <3

      Delete
  15. A giant wish for a happy Birthday, Susan! Some might say belated, but my theory is you get to keep celebrating your Birthday as long as you keep receiving Birthday greetings.
    50 library books? I am proud of you! Thought I was doing well with 17, but I see I must step up my game! You may have already read this, but I just finished The Department of Sensitive Crimes by Alexander McCall Smith. If you’ve not read it, it’s the first in his new series. Ulf Varg is his detective in this one. It’s as soulful and sweet and mysterious as his #1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I’ve already got the 2nd installment from the library, but I’m reading Diana Gabaldon’s “A Breath of Snow and Ashes“ now. Gotta have a little (??) Jamie Fraser distraction from the mess the world is in these days, I think. Anyway, may your coming year be filled with Love, and Wonder, and books! And maybe a sparkly pair of ruby slippers? 👠👠
    HBD from Andy & me!
    Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I love your philosophy. Of course this Leo woman is still celebrating! I appreciate that you have become my Book Whisperer from the RWA Facebook group; so many wonderful recommendations... :-) I will take your birthday wishes to heart. Much love always... <3

      Delete