Thursday, August 21, 2008

Days Like These (Janis Ian)

It's late and I should be in the bed... but I have a hodge-podge of thoughts swirling in my brain, and what better way to purge than to prose.

My house is a wreck from pre- and post-vacation... and I still haven't even fully grocery shopped since we returned home - 2+ weeks away (with four days in between) has me scrambling to catch up and meet beaucoup deadlines.

The threat of Tropical Storm Fay Monday and Tuesday only added to the frazzle/delay - we had bursts of high winds and teeming rains but, in the grand scheme of things, the only damage was minor inconvenience. We did the headless chicken routine Monday morning trying to get E ready to go back to college two days ahead of schedule, so he and his ride could get to Orlando ahead of the storm - they're settled in now and ready to start classes the first of next week...

I've been working like a maniac getting my Labyrinth Cafe concert series schedule finalized, as well as finetuning the MySpace page with song samples, etc. - I'll also be going on Michael Stock's Folk and Acoustic radio show this Sunday at 2 p.m. (as I did last year), giving an overview of our upcoming season and playing songs from the various artists.

My birthday came and went while I was on vacation, and I didn't mind one bit - I had told my dear friend Nancy that I really wanted to play it low-key this year, and I meant it. I was surrounded by family at the beach and I continue to be loved and valued on my home turf the other 364 days of the year - to use the see-it-everywhere T-shirt/hat/totebag slogan, "Life is Good"... even when it's not, you know?... :-)

My sweet daughter Sarah uploaded all the vacation photos she took to a Shutterfly account, and will be making a scrapbook for my mom - I've never posted more than one photo at a time here before, but I'm going to try to put up a handful of some special ones (wish me luck!).

I feel better already - goodnight... <3

P.S. Family photo: top row (left to right): my son Rob, my husband Robert, my brother-in-law Bill, my sister Mari, their daughter (my niece) Julia, my son Eric - bottom row (left to right): my daughter Sarah, my mom Connie, my brother Brad, me... :-)

P.P.S. Not sure why the pictures uploaded blurry... but if you click on each individual photo, it comes up very clearly!

SONG: Days Like These by Janis Ian

BOOK: A Blessing in Disguise: 39 Life Lessons from Today's Greatest Teachers by Andrea Joy Cohen, M.D.

POEM: View #8 (excerpt) by Thomas Centolella

Sometimes
the world is merely
empty, except for its refuse,
and goes nowhere, like a
cul-de-sac. And sometimes
it's empty but wide open,
the fruitless winter vines
dreaming of a vintage season.
You don't need anything
that isn't yours to keep going.
If someone is holding you
inside themselves
the way you're learning
to hold them, so much
the better. Sometimes
there is no difference
between a mind and a mind,
a heart and a heart, a mind
and a heart. Sometimes
the world won't move
unless you move.
Won't hold its course
unless you show it how.
And sometimes, the world holds
the two of you in one moment
and whispers: Yes. Now.

QUOTE: "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." ~ Walker Evans

6 comments:

  1. Susan---what great photos!! Glad to hear you survived T.S. Fay. Take care & get some sleep!! Kate in Wellyworld.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you! Glad you had fun. (=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Kate ~

    I read there was a tornado touchdown in Wellington, and immediately thought of you - hope all was okay there!

    Give me through this weekend to get a bit more caught up - I swear I'll call to discuss the Tracy trip (very do-able, I'm thinking... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Amy ~

    I miss you too - apologies for being so hopelessly behind.

    I know I owe you a mix CD, not to mention comments on some of your last few amazing posts - girl, you have such a gift... <3

    Thanks for your patience with me - not to change the subject but... are you coordinating End of the Summer cards again?... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey sis. Sadly enough I had never even seen a blog before you were sweet enough to share yours, and now, guess what? I'm a blogger. Well - it's private right now, but as I sort through my life, I one day hope to have a public viewing (I'll need you to teach me some tricks as to how to make it pretty though!)

    The pictures you sent (and on here) are just amazing - and I am so impressed with your beautiful way with words and love the quotes and songs etc. You definitely do put the pip in pizzazz.

    I checked out Rapunzel's site as well and by kismet, dropped her a comment on her birthday yesterday. You KNOW I am enjoying her recipes as well, and she is fun to read.

    Well, just wanted to stop by and say hi. I'm not stalking you (promise) but enjoying feeling like I'm only 3.2 miles away from you again! Lots of love!

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Mari ~

    I'm fond of repeating the saying: "the teacher appears when the lesson is ready to be learned" - I am thrilled to be your conduit into the blogging world at this moment in time.

    I look forward to reading your musings (you're such a great writer, kiddo!) whenever you're ready to share... and if you choose to keep it private forever, I completely understand - I cannot tell you the catharsis and closure I've experienced in my 1+ year of posting on a fairly-regular basis (and I've only just begun to tell people about my own, as you well know... :-)

    How cool you followed my links to M's blog, and sweet of you to wish her a Happy Birthday yesterday - I can absolutely see you loving her frequent (and delicious-sounding recipes), as well as re-connecting with her family through stories!

    I'll give you a call tonight when I get home from the gym (ugh) - love you, too... and welcome back to the neighborhood... <3

    ReplyDelete