Monday, April 7, 2008

One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure (The Jody Grind)

I subscribe to two horoscope e-newsletters, with my Leo reading arriving in my inbox daily - here are both for today:


You may be feeling a lack of motivation, SUSAN, but don't let this get you down. You might take this as a message that you should probably just take it easy and get some rest. Don't feel like you always have to push yourself to the limit. Life is not a contest. It should be enjoyed and savored. Times of calm and rest are vital to ensure times of play.


Today is all about closure, so try to clear some stuff off of your plate. You won't be able to get started on new projects -- no matter how fun or profitable they may be -- until you're finished up with this stuff.

Although they seem contradictory, they are actually very much complementary... at least as to how my day has gone so far - long story long: I had a sore throat Friday, but tried to downplay it over the weekend. Saturday was okay but Sunday was froggy - I tried to minimize talking and took a break from walking both days (Saturday self-imposed and Sunday weather-related) and started taking antibiotics that evening.

This morning I awoke and my throat was worse - by this point, I knew it was strep... so I called in sick to the office, picked up Sarah from Nissan (where she'd dropped her car off to be serviced), drove her to work and then went straight to the doctor, where my fear was confirmed and a prescription for more antibiotics was handed out.

I kept meaning to nap but allowed myself to use the day in small time-bytes, tackling a pile of clutter here... then rest... and some paperwork there... then rest - it turned out to be extremely productive (lots of closure) yet not exhausting (very calming).

I even decided to go out walking with M and R, as my legs were twitching from missing two days in a row - we did the full 3 1/2 miles, I talked more than I should have (making my Debra Winger/phone sex voice even worse) and we were rained on for the entire second loop.

On the plus side, we had a Make-Way-for-Ducklings moment, saw a rainbow woven through half dark clouds/half blue sky and spotted a dragonfly (hi, Dave!) - upon return to the house, we stretched fully and I took the dog for a stroll, after which I soaked in the jacuzzi for 30 minutes (to shake off the wet, the chill and the tightness).

I vowed to get in the bed early but it appears midnight is the closest I'll come - 'twas a very good day indeed (despite my illness... :-)

P.S. The Jody Grind was an iconic Atlanta band and I saw/heard them many times while living there - their career was tragically cut short when their drummer and bassist were killed in an automobile accident on the way back from a show in Pensacola, Florida in 1992, along with beloved Atlanta spoken word artist Deacon Lunchbox. Kelly Hogan was their lead vocalist and she has since gone solo in the alt-country genre - fond memories, wistful what-ifs...

SONG: One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure by The Jody Grind (audio)

BOOK:
Nothing Left Unsaid: Creating a Healing Legacy with Final Words and Letters by Mary Polce-Lynch

POEM: Assault to Abjury by Raymond McDaniel

Rain commenced, and wind did.
A crippled ship slid ashore.
Our swimmer's limbs went heavy.
The sand had been flattened.
The primary dune, the secondary dune, both leveled.
The maritime forest, extracted.
Every yard of the shore was shocked with jellyfish.
The blue pillow of the man o' war empty in the afterlight.
The threads of the jellyfish, spent.
Disaster weirdly neatened the beach.
We cultivated the debris field.
Castaway trash, our treasure.
Jewel box, spoon ring, sack of rock candy.
A bicycle exoskeleton without wheels, grasshopper green.
Our dead ten speed.
We rested in red mangrove and sheltered in sheets.
Our bruises blushed backwards, our blisters did.
is it true is it true
God help us we tried to stay shattered but we just got better.
We grew adept, we caught the fish as they fled.
We skinned the fish, our knife clicked like an edict.
We were harmed, and then we healed.

QUOTE: "The power of love to change bodies is legendary, built into folklore, common sense, and everyday experience. Love moves the flesh, it pushes matter around.... Throughout history, "tender loving care" has uniformly been recognized as a valuable element in healing." ~ Larry Dossey

No comments:

Post a Comment