Thursday, July 5, 2007

Words (Between the Lines of Age) - (Neil Young)

From Christine Kane's blog today:

"The Thursday Thirteen is the most popular meme on the internet. I regularly read Michelle’s Thursday Thirteens, and I’ve followed the links on the site to read some pretty funny and original stuff. So, today is the 100th edition of the Thursday Thirteen. An excellent time for me to join in. I love words. And I love hearing and learning new words. Some of that is just born out of being a songwriter. But even before I started writing professionally, I savored the sound and meaning of words. Below is a list of my 13 favorite words. I can’t really explain why I love them. It’s not so much about meaning as it is about the feeling of them in your mouth. Like candy almost. "

Sounds like a topic near and dear to my heart - without looking at anyone else's (to avoid subliminal... ooh, that's a good one... messaging), here are my thirteen... for a variety of reasons!
assimilate
cathartic
cogitate
discombobulated
meander
oxymoron
ponder
reconnaissance
synchronicity
undulate
yikes
zippity

made-up word (from Urban Dictionary): Frisbeetarianism - The philosophy that when you die, your soul goes up on a roof and gets stuck... :-)



POEM: Appeal to the Grammarians by Paul Violi

We, the naturally hopeful
Need a simple sign
For the myriad ways we're capsized.
We who love precise language
Need a finer way to convey
Disappointment and perplexity.
For speechlessness and all its inflections,
For up-ended expectations,
For every time we're ambushed
By trivial or stupefying irony,
For pure incredulity, we need
The inverted exclamation point.
For the dropped smile, the limp handshake,
For whoever has just unwrapped a dumb gift
Or taken the first sip of a flat beer,
Or felt love or pond ice
Give way underfoot, we deserve it.
We need it for the air pocket, the scratch shot,
The child whose ball doesn't bounce back,
The flat tire at journey's outset,
The odyssey that ends up in Weehawken.
But mainly because I need it—here and now
As I sit outside the Caffe Reggio
Staring at my espresso and cannoli
After this middle-aged couple
Came strolling by and he suddenly
Veered and sneezed all over my table
And she said to him, "See, that's
why I don't like to eat outside."

QUOTE: "English usage is sometimes more than mere taste, judgment and education -- sometimes it's sheer luck, like getting across the street." ~ E. B. White

No comments:

Post a Comment