Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Something to Get Through/The Beauty of the Rain (Dar Williams)

I have been doing so well with Acceptance, until this last week, when I have fallen into a funk.  Didn't sleep well last night, because of back pain as well as anxiety.  Being gentle with myself today, and tomorrow I will focus on re-finding the balance between peaceful and productive.  Many things on the To Do List, and I am in ostrich mode!

Speaking of rain, we had a family meet-up yesterday at our old neighborhood park, after days of deluges (which we needed, mind you, after our April drought).  Sarah attempted to keep Colin in the parking lot with chalk, but the "puddle pool" was too tempting.  He basically dove headfirst, and, after a few minutes, looked at me and said, "Lala in?". I of course had to take off my shoes and cavort with him for a while...  :-)


Twenty-four hours later, and the thought of it still makes me laugh!
It is raining again, hard, and that's okay.  Back to my book, The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern, which is absolutely exquisite (you may have read The Night Circus, her previous novel, equally breathtaking).  A recent passage, positively swoonworthy... 💖

“Spiritual but not religious,” Zachary clarifies. He doesn’t say what he is thinking, which is that his church is held-breath story listening and late-night-concert ear-ringing rapture and perfect-boss fight-button pressing. That his religion is buried in the silence of freshly fallen snow, in a carefully crafted cocktail, in between the pages of a book somewhere after the beginning but before the ending."


SONG:  Something to Get Through / The Beauty of the Rain by Dar Williams

BOOK:  The Gifts of Acceptance: Embracing People And Things as They Are by Daniel A. Miller

POEM:  
Just Now by W.S. Merwin

In the morning as the storm begins to blow away
the clear sky appears for a moment and it seems to me
that there has been something simpler than I could ever
believe
simpler than I could have begun to find words for
not patient not even waiting no more hidden
than the air itself that became part of me for a while
with every breath and remained with me unnoticed
something that was here unnamed unknown in the days
and the nights not separate from them
not separate from them as they came and were gone
it must have been here neither early nor late then
by what name can I address it now holding out my thanks

QUOTE:  “Resilience is very different than being numb. Resilience means you experience, you feel, you fail, you hurt. You fall. But, you keep going.”  ~ Yasmin Mogahed

No comments:

Post a Comment