Sunday, March 29, 2020

When I Get to Heaven (John Prine)

The family of John Prine says that the legendary singer-songwriter has been hospitalized since Thursday after a "sudden onset of COVID-19 symptoms." 

According to the family's statement, Prine, 73, was intubated on Saturday, "and continues to receive care, but his situation is critical."

"This is hard news for us to share. But so many of you have loved and supported John over the years, we wanted to let you know, and give you the chance to send on more of that love and support now. And know that we love you, and John loves you."


My friend/college roommate Linda texted me a few hours ago with the news.  We had just seen him together this past MLK weekend at the 30A Songwriter Festival in Santa Rosa Beach FL.  My friend Fred texted me shortly thereafter.  I had no idea until then.  I am distraught, and every f*cking purple candle in my house is ablaze. Please god let JP be okay and, if not, let him go smoothly and peacefully "into that good night".


My one-time next door neighbor and longtime dear buddy Dan gave me the eponymous John Prine album when it was first released, in 1972, on vinyl of course.  I played the h*ll out of that disc.  Side A, Side B, lather, rinse, repeat.  I knew every word to every song.  I still own his entire catalog on vinyl, even though we've loaned our turntable out to our sons. I have seen him live a double-handful of times.  Such a brilliant lyricist.  Inspired by the 6+ minute video below, here are some of my favorites: 

Well, a question ain't really a question
If you know the answer too. 
~ Far From Me

A bowl of oatmeal tried to stare me down... 

and won 
~ Illegal Smile

Some cowboy from Texas
Starts his own war in Iraq 
~ Some Humans Ain't Human

wondering how a man could send a child actor
to visit in the land of the wind chill factor. 
~ Sabu Visits the Twin Cities Alone

And all the news just repeats itself
Like some forgotten dream that we've both seen. 
~ Hello in There

Now Jesus don't like killin'
No matter what the reason's for 
~ Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore

I knew that topless lady had something up her sleeve
~ Spanish Pipedream


The cannibals can catch me and fry me in a pan
Long as I got my woman 
~ Aw Heck

Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios. 

~ Sam Stone

I could go on...  :-)



In this short film, Prine spends a typical afternoon driving around Nashville while talking about his journey from midwestern mailman to career songwriter. He plays an emotional version of “Summer’s End,” from The Tree of Forgiveness, his first album in 13 years, while fans including Dan Auerbach, Rosanne Cash and Todd Snider share their favorite Prine lyrics.

And this New Yorker Tree of Forgiveness review



SONG:  When I Get to Heaven by John Prine

BOOK:  John Prine:  Beyond Words
by John Prine

POEM:  Wanting Sumptuous Heavens by Robert Bly


No one grumbles among the oyster clans,
And lobsters play their bone guitars all summer.
Only we, with our opposable thumbs, want
Heaven to be, and God to come, again.
There is no end to our grumbling; we want
Comfortable earth and sumptuous Heaven.
But the heron standing on one leg in the bog
Drinks his dark rum all day, and is content.

QUOTE:  "The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake." ~ 
Kurt Vonnegut

No comments:

Post a Comment