Friday, January 1, 2010

Black Crow (Joni Mitchell)


As has been my tradition, I have chosen and unveiled a Word of the Year each January 1 - some years have been more effective than others but, rather than emphasizing broad goals and resolutions, it helps me keep some sense of priority as to what I'd like to work on in my life for the next 365 days!

After much pondering, I've decided on Follow-Through as my word for 2010 - I am the first to admit that I have the best of intentions in anything I do... and come off the starting block fast and furious... only to fizzle out before the finish line. It's a combination of low energy, limited time and boundless To-Do's... but there is really no excuse for my lack of completion - I have vowed that, over the next 12 months, rather than having a million things hanging over my head, I will do my very best to deal with issues as they come to me, in a no-nonsense, "one touch", make-it-happen way...

It gets frustrating, always allowing myself to be distracted (look, something shiny!) - focus, Susan, focus... :-)

P.S. I received a phone call earlier this evening from a dear friend who, for various reasons, I have been out of contact with for the last 2+ years - it was a surprise and a joy to have an extended conversation, picking up where we left off ("in search of love and music" indeed, Joni!). He told me that a new year is meant to bring about action in some form or another - I am immensely grateful the thought extended in my direction...

SONG: Black Crow by Joni Mitchell

BOOK(S): The Follow-Through Factor: Getting from Doubt to Done by Gene C. Hayden

Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload by Lucy Jo Palladino

POEM: The Year by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

What can be said in New Year rhymes,
That's not been said a thousand times?

The new years come, the old years go,
We know we dream, we dream we know.

We rise up laughing with the light,
We lie down weeping with the night.

We hug the world until it stings,
We curse it then and sigh for wings.

We live, we love, we woo, we wed,
We wreathe our brides, we sheet our dead.

We laugh, we weep, we hope, we fear,
And that's the burden of the year.

QUOTE: "Every new year people make resolutions to change aspects of themselves they believe are negative. A majority of people revert back to how they were before and feel like failures. This year I challenge you to a new resolution. I challenge you to just be yourself." ~ Aisha Elderwyn

4 comments:

  1. Susan, I love your word of the year! I, too, need to work on that "one touch" concept, it makes things so much more organized/controlled and after the past year of chaos, I need that. Maybe we both do?

    Happy New Year, dear friend. I look forward to many long wine-infused lunches in 2010. And, am ever-so-curious about that phone call..hmm..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's a good one! Follow-through is something I desperately need in my life, too. Perhaps I'll steal your word. (;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, M ~

    "Reclaiming order from chaos" - my next tattoo, perhaps? (just kidding!). A dear friend of mine accused me, a few years back, of thriving on chaos... and I knew he was right - I'd like to spend 2010 proving him wrong, dealing with my life issues while they're still fresh... in my mind, on the page, for the moment... :-)

    I think we're due for another "long wine-infused lunch" very soon - check your schedule and let me know what works for you (just hit a vein, baby!)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Amy ~

    It's not stealing if one hands something over willingly and joyfully - from one crow to another, I am glad to share my shiny things with you... :-)

    ReplyDelete