Monday, September 1, 2008

It's My Job (Mac McAnally)

What a great loooooong Labor Day weekend - I loved having the extra day off, and found the balance all three days between productivity and puttering. Focused on lots of paperwork and e-mail catch-up - my husband was out of town on soccer stuff and my son worked late one night and then up early the next... so I had a good bit of alone time around here (that never happens!).

I slept late this morning (that never happens either) - I've also been vigilant with my eating habits, starting up a food journal again (more on that another post).

The main accomplishment was putting together 4 new chairs for the patio (although I paid about half that price for each set), complete with cushions (so comfy!) - 4 more remain but, given that they were very easy to assemble, it won't take long. I love Overstock.com - I thought about ordering the matching table, but it's out of stock (back in soon, I hope).

Watched No Country for Old Men on OnDemand cable, a big mistake with both of my guys out of the house - I've been a fan of the Cohen brothers ever since Blood Simple, but their movies do tend to be on the suspenseful, creepy side. Every once in a while I'd still/pause and look out the windows, making sure all was safe and sound - it took me a while to fall asleep...

Returning to work tomorrow (oh well) - it was nice while it lasted.. :-)

SONG: It's My Job by Mac McAnally

BOOK: The Language of Life by Bill Moyers

POEM: Miracle Fair by Wislawa Szymborska

The commonplace miracle:
that so many common miracles take place.

The usual miracles:
invisible dogs barking
in the dead of night.

One of many miracles:
a small and airy cloud
is able to upstage the massive moon.

Several miracles in one:
an alder is reflected in the water
and is reversed from left to right
and grows from crown to root
and never hits bottom
though the water isn't deep.

A run-of-the-mill miracle:
winds mild to moderate
turning gusty in storms.

A miracle in the first place:
cows will be cows.

Next but not least:
just this cherry orchard
from just this cherry pit.

A miracle minus top hat and tails:
fluttering white doves.

A miracle (what else can you call it):
the sun rose today at three fourteen a.m.
and will set tonight at one past eight.

A miracle that's lost on us:
the hand actually has fewer than six fingers
but still it's got more than four.

A miracle, just take a look around:
the inescapable earth.

An extra miracle, extra and ordinary:
the unthinkable
can be thought.

QUOTE: “Do stuff. Be clenched, curious. Not waiting for inspiration’s shove or society’s kiss on your forehead. Pay attention. Attention is vitality. It connects you with others. It makes you eager. Stay eager.” ~ Susan Sontag

No comments:

Post a Comment