Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ice Cream (Sarah McLachlan)

From today's Gimundo:


Nothing says summer like the cheery tune of the Good Humor Truck. You've probably got fond memories of a childhood spent begging your parents for extra change to buy one of those jumbo chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches, then wolfing it down and licking your sticky fingers.

Well, Matt Allen, otherwise known as the Ice Cream Man, is here to bring your childhood fantasies back to life. For the last four years, Allen has spent his summers driving around in an old ice cream truck dubbed "Bessie," handing out free frozen desserts to boys, girls, and grown-ups alike. He's traveled to dozens of music festivals, children's hospitals, and even an Air Guitar Championship, logging over 15,000 miles, and handing out more than 125,000 free ice cream treats.

Allen wasn't a pure altruist at the start: He actually got into the ice cream man business to make a few bucks, as most people do. But after his first season selling, he hadn't made much money, and had lots of leftover ice cream that he wasn't sure what to do with. So he threw an ice cream social, advertising free ice cream for all. It was a hit, to say the least.

"There was a line the length of a football field, all ages, waiting for free ice cream, and everyone was just so happy," Allen told the Austin Chronicle. "If I'm not going to make any money selling ice cream, why not find a way to give it away?"

So, traveling coast to coast across America in beat-up old Bessie, that's what he's done every summer since. He relies on corporate sponsorships from brands like Levis to cover his gas costs, and web surfers can sponsor the Ice Cream Man to help him hand out more free treats on his website, helping him reach his goal of handing out half a million ice creams.

That may seem like an ambitious goal, but the Ice Cream Man abides. "Either you go through your life thinking you can change the world or thinking you cannot," he said. "If those are the only two options, how can you not at least try?"



I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer
you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations
too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor,
try the flavors on my list:

COCOA MOCHA MACARONI
TAPIOCA SMOKED BALONEY
CHECKERBERRY CHEDDAR CHEW
CHICKEN CHERRY HONEYDEW
TUTTI-FRUTTI STEWED TOMATO
TUNA TACO BAKED POTATO
LOBSTER LITCHI LIMA BEAN
MOZZARELLA MANGOSTEEN
ALMOND HAM MERINGUE SALAMI
YAM ANCHOVY PRUNE PASTRAMI
SASSAFRAS SOUVLAKI HASH
SUKIYAKI SUCCOTASH
BUTTER BRICKLE PEPPER PICKLE
POMEGRANATE PUMPERNICKEL
PEACH PIMENTO PIZZA PLUM
PEANUT PUMPKIN BUBBLEGUM
BROCCOLI BANANA BLUSTER
CHOCOLATE CHOP SUEY CLUSTER
AVOCADO BRUSSELS SPROUT
PERIWINKLE SAUERKRAUT
COTTON CANDY CARROT CUSTARD
CAULIFLOWER COLA MUSTARD
ONION DUMPLING DOUBLE DIP
TURNIP TRUFFLE TRIPLE FLIP
GARLIC GUMBO GRAVY GUAVA
LENTIL LEMON LIVER LAVA
ORANGE OLIVE BAGEL BEET
WATERMELON WAFFLE WHEAT

I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE,
taste a flavor from my freezer,
you will surely ask for more.

QUOTE: "I doubt whether the world holds for anyone a more soul-stirring surprise than the first adventure with ice cream." ~ Heywood Broun

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog (having searched for others who like Mary Chapin Carpenter's music) and I must say that this is an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G homage to literature and poetry and music and all things positive and uplifting. I knew I'd hit "paydirt" when I saw "Desiderata" posted. Somehow, I lived 42 years of my life without knowing this poem/life missive, until, about two months ago, I read an obituary that included the work.
    I have bookmarked this blog and intend to devote several hours to its perusal.
    Peace,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kate ~

    What a delight to receive your sweet note - thanks so much!

    I am a long-time Mary Chapin Carpenter fan - do you s*bscribe to her discussion list? (I've been on it for years, although I rarely post)...

    So glad you're enjoying my very-under-the-radar blog - it's a cathartic exercise in creativity for me, so to hear anyone is actually reading is the proverbial icing... :-)

    I look forward to checking out *your* blog as well - thanks again for stopping in... and I welcome any future visits... <3

    ReplyDelete