Friday, January 11, 2008

The Calling (Mary Chapin Carpenter)

How strange to think I haven't blogged since Monday, when I was so proud of staying on task daily (other than travel absences) - however, in my new 2008 Release mode, I've given myself permission to skip a day (or three) when the timing isn't right... or I'm not channeling the inspiration... or when I just don't feel like it...

Lots going on in my world these days, which makes my goal even more difficult - being on the core staff of our South Florida Folk Festival (which had taken a two-year hiatus due to Hurricane Wilma and her aftereffects) has sapped my time/energy/sanity. The Moment of Truth is next weekend - bring on the music!

I'm also dealing with some parenting issues with two of my three children - things will work out (they always do) but, in the meantime, I'm feeling exhausted, confused and even a bit betrayed. They're good kids, always loved, never deprived and raised on logical consequence - they'll follow their heart to a responsible outcome...

In the meantime, I'm challenged to find my balance, release my struggles and be kind to myself - I'm still learning to do the best I can, one day at a time...

P.S. Just writing this helps me realize how much I've missed doing it - however, I've learned my expectations cannot outweigh my emotional and physical health...


Like the joy of the sea coming home to shore,
May the music of laughter break through your soul.

As the wind wants to make everything dance,
May your gravity be lightened by grace.

Like the freedom of the monastery bell,
May clarity of mind make your eyes smile.

As water takes whatever shape it is in,
So free may you be about who you become.

As silence smiles on the other side of what's said,
May a sense of irony give you perspective.

As time remains free of all that it frames,
May fear or worry never put you in chains.

May your prayer of listening deepen enough
To hear in the distance the laughter of God.

QUOTE: "Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the writer must develop an approach for the rest of the time... The wait is simply too long." ~ Leonard Bernstein

1 comment:

  1. Parenting issues...sigh...I am right there with you, my friend.

    big hugs...

    ReplyDelete